Metal-related work

A rainy/icy nasty day , but I did get some quality time in out in The
Annex today . I spent some time today working on one pattern and almost
completing a second for parts to the Gingery shaper I'm building . If all
goes well I'll have the sides and front cast by midweek (got beehives in
process too , and they take priority) and machined by the end . I think the
ram is next in the build sequence . And I've got a big pile of salvaged
lumber to use , all of it seasoned at least 20-30 years . I had forgotten
how much I used to enjoy woodwork - before it became my livelihood .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
Aluminum castings? Are you taking pics of the process yet?
I can see those hives now: Bird's-eye maple frames, quilted sapele boxes, bocote landing, and amboyna burl lid with ebony trim. Whoo-eee!
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Vivid imagination ! The hive bodies are plywood from cabinet doors and boards that were closet shelves . The frames are from Dadant , I think , purchased at the Arkansas Beekeeper Ass'n annual meeting . I'll start taking some pics when I begin casting , including ramming up the molds and getting ready to pour . Here's a link to Rick Sparber's build , with a lot of pictures and how-to's :

I'll be finishing up the hive bodies before I tart casting , they take up a big part of my table space , I also need to get the table saw on wheels
metal .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
No, that would have been a Yuppie nightmare. I was makin' fun.
Oh, "no expenses spared" hives. I see.
Isn't everything? I think their name comes up in every search I've made since thinking about keeping bees.
Good good.
Cool! I'll check it out. We used an aluminum block my buddy Glenn cast for the router holder on the CNC. It was mostly melted pistons from Detroit. (His daughter owns a GM product, so he has plenty of broken parts to play with. She keeps him very busy with her lemons.)
I'd imagine that takes some consideration, both for horizontal and vertical axes. A long while back, I remember reading about a guy who did a pour in his garage, under the open garage door. The heat plume (correct word for rising vapor cloud during pour?) cracked the window and welded some of the plastic door parts together, requiring surgery prior to being able to shut it again. Oops!
Reply to
Larry Jaques