How to roof a shed (metal content)

My shed needs a new roof.

I noted a few weeks ago that the roof leaks -- a lot! I've kept a tarp over the riding mower so I don't get a wet butt from the seat, it's that bad. I mentioned that to Her Responsibility recently, so now it has become a matter of some freakin' urgency. I suppose that's why I mentioned it. I'd have put it off for oh, maybe a decade or two, but I knew that if I mentioned it then Her Responsibility would persistently prod my lazy arse until it got done, or otherwise get it done one way or another. Phone call, checkbook, OW! Small teams can work well. We're a small team formed in '81 and honed since. I purely hate roofing, ladders, lugging heavy stuff up ladders and working while kneeling for more than 10 minutes -- not being a senator from Idaho or anything doncha know. I'm a candyass when it comes to hard work. Been there, done that, ah'm reetahred now.

Neighbor Conally called Thu evening, wondering if I had time for and might be interested in a little welding job. Does the Pope poop in the woods ...no, wait, is a bear Catholic... oh nevermind. Sure!

A guy he's doing some remodelling work for needs a gate welded up -- and he needs it by Monday. Code requires it, he'd forgotten about it, and the inspector is coming on Monday. Hm. I asked how big, thinking I didn't want to tackle a 20-foot x 6 foot road gate over a weekend. He said about 28" x 40". Oh heck yes. I said to get or make a sketch, because he or we would need to buy materials yesterday. Con is a craftsman with an eye for design, he'd know what to do.

He showed up late afternoon today, Saturday, with some steel in his van. Awright, let's do it! He said, "by the way, this is a paying job." I said, "ho golly, Con, I'm just glad to help out a friend when I can ... but if a guy were to wanna help me re-roof my shed or anything...."

Done and done. We got the steel all cut to measure and I welded up the rectangular frame today. Material was 1x2x16-gage rectangular steel tube. It came out dead flat and nearly blackout square, with nice mitered corners. Doesn't always work that way because metal "moves" while being welded, but I've done this before. There are tricks. Tomorrow I'll weld in the bars in the middle and weld on the substantial hinges, then we can doll up the welds with anglegrinders. Decent welds don't really need any prettifying, but it's a commercial job so we'll make the outside welds so they'll disappear under a coat of paint. The inside fillet welds are pretty enough as made because they don't show as much as outside welds do. Flat fillets, neither convex nor concave, no boogers, slight ripple. They'll do.

I told Con he should tell the guy he hadda pay time-and-a-half on Saturday and doubletime on Sunday to get this crash job done. He grinned. I hope he makes out like a bandit and gets a hero badge to boot. Rots o' ruck finding a welding shop that would have accepted this job on Friday for delivery first thing on Monday morning, nevermind negotiating a price. Con got 'er done. He da MAN!

Meanwhile, I get my leaky roof fixed by playing with my MIG welder. No ladders, only brief work on my knees and none of that Idaho-style at the MSP airport. How sweet is that?

Reply to
Don Foreman

You done well sir :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:01:23 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark Rand quickly quoth:

Silly Brit. That's "Ya done good!" in Redneck lingo.

Good show, Don. That's an Executive Decision if I ever saw one. (ED = Thinking quickly and getting someone else to do the work.)

-- We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies. -- Etty Hillesum

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ya done good!

At my house, I HATE PA> My shed needs a new roof.

Reply to
RoyJ

I have found that if you weld and have the ability to do what you did, you can barter and come off with the better half of the deal almost all of the time. I have fixed gates and stuff for friends that only took a short time counting loading and unloading equipment. Usually about two minutes of actual welding time. Gotten more than one fine dinner, or something else worth far more than the work I did. Or at least I think so. Maybe not if you don't have a welder, and don't have a clue as to how to fix it, and have to call a welding service and pay a Franklin for the guy just to show up.

One time, a friend said he had some big C clamps he'd give me for welding a lawnmower handle. My ears perked up. I fixed the handle, and he brought out four twelve inch Wilton C clamps out of his truck. Worth about two hundred bucks. Said a renter had left them.

Life is good.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB