Followup on how to roof a shed

The shed roof that looks like a steel gate is done.

Don Foreman

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Looks very nicely welded. Just all around neat. I will try to take a picture of my scrapper's hinge that I welded, when he comes back, he damaged more hinges.

Ignoramus32225

I suspect Don really didn't weld that gate at all. He has probably gone in the "fence" business; and got it from burglars that ripped out the skylights of the Sistene Chapel.

Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney

Very nice finish work.

Reply to
SteveB

Neighbor Con is a craftsman. Everything he does looks p'fessional in fit and finish, though he works quickly enough to be competitive in the remodelling biz. He definitely stays busy with a good backlog.

I made some discoveries that were new to me. First, there is definitely a difference in wheels for anglegrinders. The Norton "Charger" wheel costs more, is definitely worth it in terms of speed and longevity.

Second, I found that wheels, even the Nortons, can get glazed and slow down. It's evident both in performance and upon visual inspection. A quick kiss with a cheap ($4.87) wheeldresser makes a huge difference. It's like slapping on a new disc on a high-speed rotary sander.

Our finishing process was: grind beads and rosettes flat, follow with

60-grit disc sander (about 3 quick swipes), then a quick swipe with a 3M 3" Roll-loc Scotchbrite disc in a pneumatic diegrinder. Result: no remaining scratches that one coat of even a spray automotive primer wouldn't fill and level.

Those roll-loc Scotchbrite discs are also excellent for deburring in the machine shop. They're not so agressive that things get away from ya, but they do knock off sharp edges very nicely. They work great on aluminum too; they're gentle but fast, and they don't clog up like fine-grit paper does. Excellent for prepping ally for welding.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don - I have a shed that needs roofing, are you available? :)

Reply to
John Miller

I am if Con is -- and if he needs another welding project and we can roof your shed in my back yard!

Reply to
Don Foreman