feedback on Sears Craftsman powder coating gun?

I currently use a Harbor Freight powder coating gun, but am considering replacing it with the Sears Craftsman model. I'm thinking of replacing it because my HF gun occassional surges, putting extra powder on the pieces I'm spraying; and I get a lot of powder build-up in the barrel, which gets messy when its time to blow it out. I also seem to get more overspray with it than I would expect on small-diameter tubing. I find the Craftsman gun appealing because I wouldn't have to run a noisy air compressor. Has anyone tried using it, and if so, could they share its strengths and weaknesses? Thanks.

-Jim

Reply to
plzdontspamme

I tested it here:

James Riser

Great review! How much does the Sears gun usually sell for, and what was the sale price?

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Great report . Thanks Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

I will second Doug's comments. Crackerjack review and I hope you won't mind if I borrow your layout the next time I have occassion to report on something.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

I'm modifying my Harbor Freight powder coating system with a internal blower to replace the air hose. Then I'll only need a electric cord to use it wherever. The Harbor Freight gun holds ALOT of powder. The Craftsman looks a bit limited in its capacity. I also can get the replacement cups (with screw on covers to keep the powder clean and dry) pretty cheap. Cleaning the gun is a snap as well, especially compared to a wet solvent paint gun. (YUCK!!)

I had fine results with the Harbor Freight gun. I get my powder at Columbia Coatings and have never had it clump or deposit unevenly.

Next project is to powder coat a 2HP Johnson outboard pull start cover and gas tank. Hope to locate some decals before I destroy whats left with the bead blaster.

Bart

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Errol Groff wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

I'd be interested in knowing the details of how you're planning to put an internal blower in the gun.

While the HF gun is infinitely better than spray painting, it still has some things to be desired. I powdercoat mostly round tubing, and seem to get a substantial amount of overspray that doesn't adhere to the tubing at moderately high flow rates. I'd guess my transfer efficiency under these settings is under 50%. At these high flow rates is when I also get occasional surging,

But since this is the only powdercoating equipment I've ever used, I don't know what is reasonable to expect. If I am powdercoating, say,

1" round tubing, what would be a reasonable coverage rate (in linear inches of tubing per minute) and transfer efficiency? As things stand now, I'm getting a lot of dust settling on everything in my shop, and am getting the parts together to build an air filtration unit.

-Jim

Reply to
Noone special

In a powder plant we expected transfer rates of 70% or better from our guns 80-85% was common). You will always have some powder that doesn't adhere because each particle carries the charge differently. I would highly recommend that you make a powder reclaim unit though. They can be as simple as a plastic lined box for small parts to the huge downdraft units with triple filtration that we had in the shop. Now as to the transfer rate from a HF gun. It will be lower because it doesn't use a real heavy charge and many times the ground side is not very good. Oh and FYI if your attempting to coat tight interior corners and are not getting powder in there, that is normal. It is Faradic rejection due to the proximity of the negative charged pieces.

Reply to
Steve W.

It is reviews like tthis one that make the usenet worthwhile

Reply to
yourname

Doug; It is currently on sale again - may end this weekend. Check the Sears.com site or your local store. Jim

Reply to
James Riser

Ok James - is it time to buy the other half a new kitchen stove - and move the 'old' one to the shop ?

Ah - for a bigger oven.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

James Riser wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

When it's completed I'll post pics.

I'm using a 12v air mattress inflator pump. (Yep, HF again $6) and a 12v transformer ($4.00 Fry's electronics) placed in the Powder Coater cabinet. (It fits SOOOOO nice!) Just need a diode to convert the 12v AC to DC. (DIODE BRIDGE?)

Low pressure, high volume pump I can trim with a inline variable restrictor and is tied to the ON/OFF switch. I was thinking of going fancy and putting the gun wire in the tubing and have it exit near the handle, but I think I'm going to zip tie it alongside to get it working ASAP.

Does this count as a copyright or patentable device? Can I sell this idea to HF? Otherwise it is just cool.

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

No> I'd be interested in knowing the details of how you're planning to put

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Nope, Check your local Craigslist for a free stove. That's how I got my powdercoating oven and my parts washing dishwasher.

(C'MON we know y'all sneak a few parts that really need a good cleaning in the dishwasher. I just need one a bit more frequently!)

Just remember to "cook" (50 degress ABOVE your powder bake temp) what your going to powdercoat after you have sandblasted and washed and put paint stripper or other solvents on the part. This outgasses the part and reduces the chance of bubbles in your powdercoating.

If you happen to get a self cleaning oven you can also pop your BBQ grates in it to clean them as well. Make sure your oven is outside for this one! The smoke can get quite thick, but smells like steak so the neighbors don't complain too much!

Lots of stuff you can do if you don't have to worry about cleaning the oven or dishwasher afterwards!

Bart

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Mart> Ok James - is it time to buy the other half a new kitchen stove - and > move the 'old'

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Most RadioShacks sell Bridge Rectifiers in their component area. Its funny because my local Radio Shack in the same little minimall as my local HF and have gone between the 2 for many projects.

Reply to
marc.britten