HF powder coating system

Has anyone used this system.

does it require an oven? I am a little lost about it, sorry.

Ignoramus6528

Please ignore my question, sorry, there is a link to the manual which I will read first.

Ignoramus6528

"Ignoramus6528" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net...

I have one of the units, and like it so far. I have been painting in the auto field for almost 40 years, but never did anything with powder. Bought the unit, as there is no one within about 100 miles or so that does any of it. Had an extra electric range I brought into the shop for the oven. I made a shifter link for my son's Harley (small fire axe), and decided to try the powder on it. Went on VERY easy, and did not use much at all!! For an item that size, I would usually have to mix up about 4 oz. of material, most of which goes into the atmosphere (even with HVLP), and once it's mixed, it can't be returned to the can. With the powder, I put about a half inch in the bottom of the cup, "vaporized it", and found the back side was pretty well coated as well. I had about half of the powder left in the canister, and returned it to the main container. Gently took it from the stand, and hung it in the pre-heated oven. Let it bake about 15 minutes, and it was done. SHINY!!! Since I had not used this before, I was very gentle with the finished product, not wanting to put a "divot" in the fresh material. No problem, when it was cool enough to handle, it was HARD!! With regular paint, even though it is dry enough to handle, it can still have scratches, divest, and dents put in the material, even 24 hours later. not with this! I Love It!! Have several more items now to do, just waiting to get them ready. I did bead blast the surface first, to insure a good bond. Hippie...

Reply to
Hippie

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 01:58:36 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus6528 quickly quoth:

RTFM, Ig.

The answer is "Yes." (Item 8 under Preparation.)

-- Chipmunks roasting on an open fire...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I; Check out my link to the testing of the Sears system to see how powder coating works/looks in the process of putting it on the metal:

The HF applied powder looks and bakes the same way. The Sears unit is simplier to use - one handed and no compressor required. Either system will work. Jim

Reply to
James Riser

I'll second the Sears unit. Better powder flow, easier cleanup and you don't have to run a airline to it just a power cord. I bought 4 of the powder reservoirs just so I can keep my favorite black, black wrinkle, red and white ready to go. I originally owned a HF unit so I can make a good comparison. HF is fire saleing the units here for $39 so I think they are coming out with a new model or discontinuing them.

I bought my Craftsman powder coater on EBAY for $98. NIB.

Go on craigslist.org and get a free oven. Put it outside. This is great for burning off oil on dirty parts before you sandblast them, seasoning cast iron pans and curing powder coat. Get one that is "self cleaning" so it will get hot enough to cure high-temp powder coat.

Neighbor always wonders what I'm cooking outside. (SMILE!!)

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

James Riser wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Jim:

Thanks for posting the page about your experience with the Sears powder coating system. Very interesting and informative.

if you have a moment or two how about some information about how you get the great pictures of your work. I, for one, am always interested in improving my photography and would much appreciate your words of wisdon on the subject.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Errol; Without specific questions, it would be a little difficult to provide "photo tips". I do use a SONY digital camera with a 12x optical zoom plus good macro capabilities. Lighting is important to show textures etc. Being in focus is critical. For real detailed shots I even have an Intel digital microscope attached to my computer. Jim

Reply to
James Riser