Sound system recommendations

To control the train. It's just a power pack with a sound generator that you can connect to a speaker (or two IIRC).

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

My wife thinks I need sound on my home layout [not DCC], so I checked out the Model 312 [18 sounds]and also a Tech II Model 8000 [just two sounds -- diesel horn and steam whistle]. Anyone have experience with either of these? Is there another system [for diesel and steam sounds] I should check out? I noticed that the Model 8000 has three connections: speaker, AC accesory, and track. What is the purpose of connecting to the track?

Reply to
harrym

I could not find a Tech II 8000 on the MRC web site, and I am not familiar with it.

If it is a sound system and throttle, the track connections are for running the trains. If it is just a sound system, then the track connections are for voltage input settings to make the steam/diesel sounds match the throttle setting on your throttle.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Reply to
harrym

harrym Dec 5, 12:14 pm show options

Harrym wrote: My wife thinks I need sound on my home layout [not DCC], so I checked out the Model 312 [18 sounds]and also a Tech II Model 8000 [just two sounds -- diesel horn and steam whistle]. Anyone have experience with either of these? Is there another system [for diesel and steam sounds] I should check out? I noticed that the Model 8000 has three connections:

speaker, AC accesory, and track. What is the purpose of connecting to the track?

-------------------------------------------------------------- Your wife's right! Sound adds another dimension to your layout. I have a MRC Model 8000 (since 1996). It's a well-made inexpensive sound generator and includes a nice speaker.

The connections to the track are so that the sound can be syncronized to the speed of your locomotives. Syncronized sound is important. It's adjustable with a dial. You'll find a nice steam chuff, Diesel sound, whistle and horn.

Remember that this an inexpensive system so you'll find better sound on newer and more expensive wquipment. It's a good stepping-stone to sound on your entire layout.

Good luck!

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire
*** Tech II Model 8000 [just two sounds -- diesel horn and steam whistle].

-------------------------------------------------------------- My MRC Tech II Model 8000 has steam chuff and Diesel engine sound in addition to the horn and whistle. I purchased it in 1996. Maybe something has changed since then.

MRC also newer sound systems. Separate ones for steam and Diesel, but with a lot of other sounds. They're shown on the back cover of December's Model Railroader.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Reply to
harrym