Best H0 system for newcomer?

Hi again NG,
I had earlier asked about Marklin, and based on the responses, I am leaning towards finding a different brand to start with. I had a
Marklin H0 set while growing up in Scandinavia, but I have limited knowledge of model trains, especially US manufacturers and systems. I am looking for advice on which manufacturer and brand to purchase a system from, ranging from their quality and reputation, through price and value, to selection size.
Thanks! TAB
Hi again NG,
I had earlier asked about Marklin, and based on the responses, I am leaning towards finding a different brand to start with. I had a Marklin H0 set while growing up in Scandinavia, but I have limited knowledge of model trains, especially US manufacturers and systems. I am looking for advice on which manufacturer and brand to purchase a system from, ranging from their quality and reputation, through price and value, to selection size.
Thanks! TAB
Use Kato it is the best.
On Feb 18, 8:17?am, tor_arne snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

In general you don't buy a set. While it's possible in some cases it's usually not recommended. You need to ask yourself some basic questions. First is how am I going to use this; Set it up, run, and then put it in boxes, or will you have a permanent setup (like a 4x8 sheet of plywood or similar) someplace. Next is do I want to build cars or just buy everything RTR or a little of both.
On 18 Feb 2007 05:17:27 -0800, tor_arne snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Unlike Europe, there is no "system" in the US. When I was a kid in Germany many decades ago, I had a Fleischmann "system" My friends had either Trix or Maerklin. We could not run our trains on each other's layouts due to the complete incompatibility. Here in the US we have the NMRA which set standards a long time ago so that everything works with (just about) everything else. Right now I model N-scale. My track is Atlas code55, my switch machines are Tortoises, my powerpacks are MRC, my locomotives are a collection of just about everything out there: Atlas, Bachmann, ModelPower, Kato, Life Like,Model Die Casting, ConCor, Rivarossi, even a few old Minitrix..Same with rolling stock: I like it, I buy it. Doesn't matter who made it I "KNOW" it will work together. The only "system" I employ is that all my couplers are Micro Trains.The old rapido (fondly known as the "Crapido" coupler used to be the de-facto standard in N scale, but is slowly but surely being replaced by the Micro train clones or compatibles.. So just go out there, pick up what you like, (although I would avoid Bachmann's Standard line; their Spectrum is ok) and be assured it WILL work together. All manufactures make quality products, just remember that some also make beginner's Train Sets; so Cheap Price = Cheap Quality.
Franz T.
Franz T skriver:

In Eutope We have NEM so that everything works with (just about) everything else - Except Mrklin 3 rail....
Klaus
On Feb 18, 1:44�pm, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

You said Marklin worked with all the others elsewhere here your story is conflicting.
_________
Steve the real
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I put RP 25 wheels on my Ma rolling stock and reprofile and isolate their loco wheels - they work fine (well, excluding the coffee grinder mechanisims on many of their locos) The couplings are European standard.
Regards, Greg.P.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:
[whatever]
Peek-a-boo, Curt, we see you.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

Notice I wrote "many decades ago" When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's there was no such thing as NEM. Fleischmann had their couplers which were not compatible with Trix Express which were not compatible with Maerklin which were not compatible with.... You get the picture. Apparently european manufactures finally took a cue from the NMRA... Having looked at European Prototype models advertised on various webites in the US, I get the impression that the current NEM coupler was evolved from the abominations Fleischmann put on there stuff in the 50's. But then I guess that the european market is primarily a toy train market...
Franz T
Franz T skriver:

But you are judging the market of today, with your exeperiance of the 50's

Wrong, this is the NEM coupler, basicly the system that all other than Fleischmann used http://www.morop.org/de/normes/nem360_d.pdf

Well, sitting in the middle of the European market I can tell that Your guess is wrong.
Klaus
But then I guess that the european market is primarily a toy

Just curious , what makes you guess this? It's very easy to assume things wrong, I myself thought that Lionel made only Toy Trains ( very expensive ones) but seeing the reactions here I might be wrong.
Greetz Jan
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:20:42 +0100, "Jan\(Bouli\)Van Gerwen"

It seems there is a divide as to what people consider to be toys. They are all toys to me. Meaning I like running them more than modeling them in precise detail.
I don't think the divide is all that serious, other than in some people who lack any sense of humor. Great modelers create things that are a marvel to look at. But they do play with them eventually.
Me? I have a Lionel nuclear reactor with a metal arm that picks up little metal balls and inserts them into the reactor. The balls just roll right out the other side and land in a cup. Meanwhile, glow-in-the-dark plastic balls fill up a bin for unloading into a gondola.
That is precisely the way real nuclear reactors work... ;)
But then if someone tried to model a real working nuclear reactor, I think the homeland security department would be knocking on their door.
Spender spake thus:

Oh, come on, don't be so naive: I think you know perfectly well the difference between what would be termed a "toy" and what would qualify as a scale model. After all, you've spent big bux buying toys, no?
And yes, it's nothing to get worked up over: in a way, of course, they're *all* toys. And the basic idea is to have fun with them on some level. But really, you'd have to be an idiot to place most Lionel stuff (including the nuclear reactor you described) in the same category as a faithful brass rendition of a certain class of Pennsy steamer, just for an example. Or a layout lovingly built for realism, compared to the under-the-xmas-tree oval.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
We see you Steve Caple your lie is not working.
On Feb 19, 1:45?pm, STEVE CAPLE> wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus:

Fuck off, Curt, and go away. Nobody wants you here.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
You tell him fake sockpupput. Only I must have be so wasted I don't remember writing that trash talk. We own this Usenet group and we determine who posts here and what they say ! Right on left hand.
----------
Steve
On Feb 19, 2:26 pm, ME> wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:
[trash]
Peek-a-boo, "Curt", we see you!
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
Peek-a-boo, STEVE CAPLE we see you!
On Feb 19, 7:19?pm, STEFE CAPLE> wrote:

(including the nuclear reactor you described) in the same category as a faithful brass rendition of a certain class of Pennsy steamer, just for an example.<
We could make the definition thus and in fact I think insurance companies do; Lionel is a toy, low cost or expensive. The brass Pennsy is a work of art and therefore expensive AND needs a rider on your insurance policy.