Hornby info?

Hi NG,
Does anyone have knowledge or experience to share regarding Hornby (www.hornby.com)? They appear to have only 00 gauge, I don't know how
proprietary that is. They have a pretty cool looking 'real' steam train, but I assume they have only British RR models.
Regards, TAB

Hi TAB. Yes, Hornby models are 00, which, in the UK, is as popular as H0 is in Europe and the US.
British 00 is modelled at 4mm to the foot, but running on the same H0 track as used worldwide. Don't ask why - Greg will tell you :-)
As far as I know, Hornby only produce UK outline models at present, and yes, the live steam locos are extremely impressive.
--
Graeme, Scotland

Graeme wrote:

HEY!!! ;-)
They own Electrotren (Spanish HO), Rivarossi (HO Euro and US), Lima (HO and OO), Jouef (HO), Arnold (N) and Pocher (Rivarossi HO)
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter wrote:

Since Greg didn't, I'll provide some of the history!
Way back in the dim dark ages, (1938 + ) when HO was first appearing, the electric motors available were not small enough to fit within the bodies of English (British) steam locomotives. Going from 1:87 to 1:72 in scale provided enough additional space to be able to motorize some of the larger locomotives. (Even so, some of the smaller locomotives were dummy (unpowered) with a 'motorized' tender, or in some cases of really small locos, a motorized 'baggage car' of 'box car' to move the train. By the 1950s, the available motors were such that such a solution wouldn't have been needed, but there was already to large a number of modelers using the OO/HO system, thus it continues through the present, with some modelers using 19mm (true OO gauge), most using 16.5mm, and most being quite happy with their results. (Which is what really matters)
Chuck Davis

Charles Davis wrote:

Close - 1923 on. Bing.
Europe 1:90 (Trix) - 1:80 (Rivarossi) scale but settled at 1:87 in the 1950s. Great Britain and USa 1:76.2 4mm:1 foot. scale.
18.82mm gauge - quite popular in Britain.
While researching British OO + HO before WWII, I found that the terms were interchangeable until Hornby Dublo released their range in 1938, HO could be applied to 4mm scale and OO to 3.5mm scale or vice versa.
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter spake thus:
[...]

I dispute this: when did we (US) use anything other than today's HO scale?
And in any case, why do you insist on denigrating us with that odd abbreviation (USa)? What's with the lowercase "a"?
Maybe we should retaliate by abbreviating it "Nz", eh?
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, we're wandering off railway topics here, but you yanks do seem to insist on hyjacking the term "American" to mean "of the USa". The lower case "a" is my little objection. BTW I use the term "yank" with no intention to offend, (just as I assume you use the term "American" with no intent to offend) It's the only term I know other than "citizens of the United States of America" that is understood world-wide without the sideways spit. "Yank" with the uppercase "Y" apparently is offensive to many of you. "Nz" would just be interpreted as typical US inability to spell, just as in "colour", "aluminium", "tyre", "cheque" and etc. =;^)
Regards, Greg.P. (retires to concrete bunker)
David Nebenzahl wrote:

How about prior to WWII ---- LIONEL produced OO Scale in both two and three rail (To 19mm gauge, 2mm/ft. scale the 19.92 gauge is 'Fine Scale standards (GB) maybe a lone wolf or two here in the States)

Well maybe if you can't allow for obvious typos, go ahead. It would seem quite juvenile to me. JMHO
Chuck D.

Charles Davis spake thus:

Check his previous post; not a typo. I hit the nail on the head.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
David Nebenzahl wrote:

You did absolutely!
Regards, Greg.P.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

O.K., so it's him with the attitude. It's still a bit childish.
Chuck D.
Charles Davis wrote:

It's a gentle hint that you're insulting all the people of the Americas in using "America" to indicate the citizens of the USa exclusively..
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter wrote: [...]

Nah, he's not. We're Canadians up here, not Americans. You call us Americans, and we'll,, er, we'll. um we'll -- well, I'm not sure what we'll do to you. Probably apologise to you for not correcting your misinformation.
And those people south of the Rio Grande are Mexicanos, not Americans. But their relatives who've migrated to the USA are Latinos. Even when they've become American citizens.
So be careful whom you call what around here, eh?
"It's not that we are better, it's that we're not as worse." (Arrogant Worms)
Wolf wrote:

Yeah, I know you avoid the issue for various reasons but I don't need to.
Imagine if the Swiss said "From now on Europe means Switzerland exclusively". Imagine if the Cambodians said "From now on Asia means Cambodia exclusively". Imagine if the Ghanians said "From now on Africa means Ghana exclusively". Imagine if the Columbians said "From now on America means Columbia exclusively". Imagine if the Canadians said "From now on America means Canada exclusively". Imagine if the Australians said "From now on Australia means Australia exclusively". (hold on, that one doesn't work)
Greg Procter wrote:

OK, I tried to set you straight politely.
Pay attention to what people want to call themselves, and follow suit. Insisting on your notion of what I should call myself is not only stupid, it's profoundly insulting.
Wolf wrote:

Pay attention to who is being insulted by arrogant people/nations calling themselves illogical terms.

Insisting that I use stupid terms just because you insist on being stupid is only adding another layer of stupidity to your resume.
I don't care what you call yourself but don't expect me to insult a billion odd people just because you do.
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter spake thus:

You really don't know when to stop, do you? (Or, as they say, "quit while you're behind".)
What an idiot. You're not much better than "Curt".
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm not in the argument, I'm a disinterested bystander giving you some useful advice while refusing to join in with your insult. That tends to make _you_ the non-thinking idiot.
If you find my advice insulting then either don't read my advice or try thinking until you understand my point.
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter wrote:

Nobody's being insulted. The insult exists entirely in your patronising fat head.

Ah, yes, Greg Proctor, the arbiter of sense and logic.

As I said, the insult exists entirely in your fevered imagination. Cool off.

Wolf wrote:

Wolf, here's an analogy - If I tell you "don't step in front of the bus" and you argue because you can't see any danger in stepping in front of the bus, I really don't have any obligation to explain the situation further. BUT, when you tell me that I am insulting you by not stepping in front of the bus and further that I am wrong because everyone steps in front of buses then I begin to feel insulted by you.
I'm _not_ going to insult a billion odd people (population of the Americas(?)) to spare the feelings of 300 million. If you can't understand the insult that you give then that is entirely _your_ lack. I have no interest in insulting the people of the USa.
Regards, Greg.P.