FOR SALE: Hornby Connex Surburban Train HO Gauge

Hey Folks

I have a Hornby Connex Surburban Train HO Gauge for sale on Ebay. The auction closes tomorrow at 18.30.

If you search under my id saratoga6996, you will find it.

I will have other stuff for sale in a few weeks time like a box of HO american style TYCO trains and many wagons. I also have several other Hornby sets I wish to get rid of.

- David

begin 666 s.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```(" $5 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
David Gillespie

Interesting, I was looking for these on ebay earlier, and didn't find this one.

Ah, you've misspelled 'suburban', and haven't mentioned '466' or 'networker' anywhere in the text. That's why I didn't see it.

... and it's paypal only, with a starting price of £50, so I didn't miss much. It currently (and rather unsurprisingly) has no bids. Assuming it doesn't sell, and you decide to relist it with these constraints removed, it's possible I may be interested...

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

In message , David Gillespie writes

I hope you haven't as Hornby didn't make this set in HO, but in OO.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 13/08/2006 08:45, Jane Sullivan said,

Along with the minor (!!) errors James pointed out, not really much hope of selling it really, is there?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

He did say "HO Gauge" and not "HO Scale" which is correct :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Yes, but so is On2½ or On3 or TTb5½ and maybe a few more, and he didn't mention any of those. I suggest that by mentioning HO gauge he was just confusing people.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Yeah if he wants to make a c*ck-up of his listing why should we worry?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 13/08/2006 19:18, Jane Sullivan said,

Well, all things considered, I'm sure that the wrong scale/gauge in the description was only a minor contributory factor to the seller wasting £1.50 on listing fees. In the OP, he also says that it ends at 18:30 today. If anyone had sniping in mind, they would have found that it actually ended 5 minutes earlier!

Altogether, not a good day for the OP. Three items all went unsold.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

No it isn't.

If by "gauge" you mean the "track gauge", i.e. the distance between the rails, that is a linear dimension which can only be specified in units of length. You cannot describe a track gauge as H0 mm or H0 inches.

If by "gauge" you mean a size designation, as for example in "Standard Wire Gauge", then "H0 Gauge" means that practice of modelling which combines a scale of 3.5mm/ft with a track gauge of 16.5mm. As far as I know Hornby do not make any models matching this combination, and it is therefore NOT correct to describe them as "H0 Gauge".

They are "00 Gauge" which is a size designation which combines a scale of 4mm/ft with a track gauge of 16.5mm. Such models may share a common track gauge dimension with models matching the "H0 Gauge" designation, but that does not make them "H0 Gauge".

Martin.

---------- email: snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web:

Martin Wynne

"Martin Wynne" wrote

And if someone is search for items in OO-scale or OO-gauge he/she wouldn't have found them.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Assuming it

Do you really expect that the spamming bastard will be reading the group?...

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry said the following on 14/08/2006 10:49:

Apparently not, because he hasn't come back to thank us for all the help we've given him in order to make his spamming^H^H^H^H selling more successful in the future :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi Guys,

Im getting some abuse here, first of all ..... i don't have time to check this newsgroup every night ............... i have things to get on with. The week the auction was on, I kept up to date with my auction (not their was much point) and my emails. If you have something to say then email me, it seems you all have pleanty to say, but no balls to say it to my face.

If I want to start my auction at £50.00, then I will. Lets face it, I own it and I paid good money for it, so i am not going to give it away. . I probably will post it again on ebay with a lower price ( and correctly describe it), no good sitting in my wardrobe doing nothing. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't then it doesn't .................... but life continues.

Fair enough I got the scale wrong, then I am a muppet. I do apreciate you guys mentioning this, but again if you just had emailed me to confirm the scale and any other issues you had then I would of responded with answers and gratitude for bringing this my attention.

As for using this newgroup for spaming, get bent. I checked the rules for this newsgroup and you are allowed to advertise on this newsgroup aslong you put FOR SALE in the subject line. I have to admit I have used other newsgroup to search for items I wish to purchase, and find it very useful as long as it done properly.

Going to post this message on the newgroup, but you all are going to get a copy of it as well.

- david

Reply to
David Gillespie

Newsgroups such as this one are a venue for public discussion. If you've posted to a newsgroup, you can expect people to reply - and to reply *to the group*, as you posted *to the group*. Same as an email list (where people reply to the list by convention) and a web forum (where people reply within the forum thread by convention).

This is *more* public, and requires *more* "balls" than to email you privately, as more people are going to read it.

Also, you never stated you wanted any replies by email. (Though then again, maybe you weren't expecting any replies.)

Yup, that is your right. It is also your right not to sell your item, should you not wish to.

Of course not. The whole purpose of an Auction is to extract the maximum the market will pay - but setting the starting price beyond the level where even one person is willing to put in a bid means your item won't sell.

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

all fair remarks.To be honest your original remarks where helpful, after I signed on last night and continued to read everyone elses remarks, just got me roused.

- david

Reply to
David Gillespie

In message , David Gillespie writes

Perhaps some of us might have more sympathy for you if you were to join in the discussions and post here regularly.

Also, you do not endear yourself to folks by saying "I know my rights and you can't stop me". As far as I am concerned, someone who hasn't posted here before who suddenly pops up advertising an auction on ebay, is a spammer, whether or not the group's charter allows you to do so.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 27/08/2006 20:33, David Gillespie said,

That's what the group is for, but I doubt many people will actually get an emailed copy. This is a public forum, therefore all comments are made public. It is not usual to contact a poster privately to continue the discussion - this is not good etiquette unless the poster specifically says it's OK. You didn't. Many people don't use real email addresses here to avoid spam - those that do often use throwaway addresses such as hotmail, yahoo or msn.

As for not having the balls, if you look you'll see that most, if not all, of the responses came from people who are not hiding behind an alias, and are making comments in their own name, for all to see. Surely that takes more balls (in your terminology) than direct email. I'm assuming you didn't mean face to face literally, as you forgot to include your postal address.

Your very first post on this group (that I could find) was advertising something for sale. Then you disappeared. This is a discussion group, so if you start a discussion, as you did, it is common courtesy to participate. Had you done so, you will have seen some comments *before* your auction ended - you could then have changed your auction to help with your sale. You could have changed the title for a start, which means that it would have come up in searches.

Reply to
Paul Boyd