Hornby's 466 returns?

Had a quick look around in Modelzone today (yeah, I know, but it's the only model shop I can get to easily...), and noticed they are advertising a special edition Hornby 466 in South Eastern livery.

IIRC it was listed as having a "type 7" motor - does this mean they've fixed the awful 1 axle drive on the previous 466?

I don't see anything about the 466 on Hornby's website, so are they really just producing the special edition 466 for MZ, and no others?

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

In message , James Moody writes

Probably not. The awful 1 axle drive on the previous 466 was also with a type 7 motor.

It would appear so.

Did you see how much MZ are asking? £75. That is a bit steep, as I bought my previous Hornby 466 brand new in my local model shop for just over £50.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Damn. Back to plan 'A' then - fit a Tenshodo spud or black beetle.

I didn't see a price on the ad. It could have been there - I was just surprised to see the 466 back at all, even as a limited edition in a livery I'm not interested in, so I wasn't concentrating on issues like how much do they want for it ;¬). £75 is very steep considering the work and expense that will go into motorising the thing. If it had been re-motored anyway, and therefore didn't need doing after purchase, then it wouldn't appear quite so shockingly high priced...

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

"James Moody" wrote

No that's the original el-crappo drive.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Anyone tried the BullAnt drive system?

available in the UK through Branchlines or DC Kits, so the website says.

I suggest this as I've got a SPUD in my DC Kits Thumper, and its appalling!! If I had a layout to run it on, I'd be looking at replacement drive units.

Reply to
Ben C

I agree about SPUDs, the black beetle has a good reputation but my personal preference is to get the motor off the bogie, some interesting bits in that Bullant range, but a bit pricy. I would look for a bargain offer Bachmann 158 or similar and take its chassis. See

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Steep - probably not as it's a 'limited edition', pretty much in line with other products from Model Zone/TMC. Not what many of us modellers would want to pay but hey, there's a huge collectors market out there. If you want evidence, consider an earlier MZ special, the 'Southern' class 171 retail for £87.99 IIRC and selling recently on Ebay for between £150 and £250. Personally I'll wait and see if Bachmann produce another (probably not 2 car) version in this livery in a while, though I won't hold my breath. Bob H.

Reply to
Bob Hope