Hornby 2008

OK, well the website does have some extra details on the Hornby 2008 range, but I'm wondering how accurate they are? For instance, the British Rilways T9s are listed as being available only in Green. Apart from the early 'British Railways' wording on the tender after nationalisation, I thought T9s were always in mixed traffic black??

I think it's a great shame that Hornby have chosen to duplicate the 75xxx

4MT against Bachmann's one. A quick squizz of MRE Mag may say that Hornby started theirs two years previously, but that sounds very fishy to me (other locos haven't taken anything like so long). The 82xxx and 84xxx prairie tanks would have been better choices IMHO. Plus as most of my Standards are Bachmann ones, I'd stick with theirs for consistency of general appearance (and it'll probably be heavier anyways, so better able to haul heavier trains. Hornby's Black Five can't pull the skin off a rice pudding, compared with Bachy's Standard 5MT ;-)

Still, the Maunsell Brake Compostie is now making an appearance, so that's useful. I think I could *almost* say that I have enough SR and BR(S) to last me a lifetime now. The only locos that I'd appreciate in RTR form would be a U (Bachmann, please?) and an S15... Anything else I will have a go at kitbuilding (a Wills Q and a DJH S&DJR 7F are already purchased, though I've yet to start on them :-)

Reply to
Ian J.

Hello

Can anyone direct me to a definitive Hornby 2008 list please? I've seen the Hornby web pages and the MRE summary, but I'm still trying to find a full listing [like a price list].

Regards and Happy New Year to all

Reply to
selfgk

"selfgk" wrote

Call in at your local Hornby dealer - they were all supplied with 2008 trade listings before Christmas, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to reproduce mine here.

John.

Regards and Happy New Year to all

Reply to
John Turner

It doesn't have prices, but there's a lengthy thread on RMweb which has all the new products in it:

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

A GOLD A4!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I NEED!!!!!!!!!!1!!!one!!!!! ;-)

So I can now build an entire NER country station out of Skaledale but there's nothing useful to actually run through it. >:-(

At least they remembered to remove the radio pods from the green 101 this time.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

selfgk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e50g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Kenrow seem to have the best listing I've found so far:

(or click on the link on their home page)

be warned that it is 279 items (gulp!) spread over 31 pages

David

Reply to
David Jackman

R.O.T.F.L.M.F.A.O.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

On 01/01/2008 22:38, kim said,

There's some lovely models there, then there's that Midland Single. I assume that's for the RailRoad range. It is, isn't it??

Quite!

The Wessex Railways Class 153 is definitely on my shopping list.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Midland single? The only two singles I see there are another realease of the old Deean single (in early 20thC GW colours) and the Caledonian single in its final scheme of LM&S black, as daubed by the vandals cirrca

1930..

I may have missed something, mind.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Hello

Quick reply to thanks for links. Just away on business now for the rest of the week.

Thanks again.

Regards, Gordon

Reply to
selfgk

On 01/01/2008 23:45, Andrew Robert Breen said,

Well, it's somewhere up north, isn't it? :-) :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

What a shocking photo of 14010, does it really look as bad as that, or is it because the driving wheel is off the track? I can't wait for mine ;-)

Not as bad as the "Stannier" Class 2-6-4T

Well you're all north of me, except for perhaps Greg Proctor.

Kevin Martin

Melbourne Australia

Reply to
Kevin Martin

My Atlas is still boxed away in the garage, but I think I might just be north of you! I suppose the info would be available via the internet, but ...

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

So what about the loco drive 9F in railroad range ? May well be tempted.

isnt that twice youve said something positive about hornby - be careful you'll get labelled ! :-)

I quite like the BR black duchess and the new decoders....

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

£60 for a second-rate model aimed at children and paupers?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

simon said the following on 03/01/2008 23:43:

I know - scary, isn't it?!?!?!?

Seriously, Hornby has been given a huge kick up the backside by Bachmann, with the result that both manufacturers are churning out some seriously nice stuff. As a kit-builder myself, I can't understand now why people would buy kits when you can buy a probably better model off the shelf. It's just the conversion to P4 that can be a pain on this newer stuff - the chassis are usually too good to just throw away like we used to!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Perfect for me then - child at heart, pauper in the pocket. Cant justify £90 for an out of era model - unless its an LMS pacific.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

How can you justify £60 for what even Hornby admit is a second-rate re-hash?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Its an accounting question - capital vs expenses.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

On 05/01/2008 00:06, kim said,

Why should anyone have to justify it? You might as well ask how we can justify the whole hobby?

Reply to
Paul Boyd