Hornby Princess Coronations

Having finished my Saint to Star conversion and picked out the ballast jambing the wheels of the Bachmann Cl4 Std I turned my attention to the City of Bristol (new version) and why it finds rice pudding skin so difficult despite the praises heaped on the model by other proud owners.

First observation was tha

Reply to
Sailor

Having finished my Saint to Star conversion and picked out the ballast jambing the wheels of the Bachmann Cl4 Std I turned my attention to the City of Bristol (new version) and why it finds rice pudding skin so difficult despite the praises heaped on the model by other proud owners.

First observation was that the cavity had lots of spare space. This was filled with modelling clay and lo the load was raised to 5.5 carriages ( Pullmans of mixed pedigree). Lady Patricia takes 6 easily.

Second obs: weighed the loco at 360 grms(after ballast addition). A little surprised as my also new Lady Patricia weighs in at 400 grms.

Checked the parts list drawing against the actual item and voil=E0 the chassis shape is totally different in so far as a large ballasting block is not integral in the DCC models but neither is there a parts list available for the DCC version.

Simple answer: Hornby have sacrificed adhesive weight for DCC control space. As I prefer to have my larger locos to pull larger loads it may be preferable to fit control gear in the tender ( as do the US versions) and maintain the heavier chassis. This is of course the same situation with the Castles and Kings.

Regards

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor