Miller Gold Star 300ss ????

Not sure if this is the place to post this message but since it deals with welding I thought it might be the place to get some help, I have a Miller Gold Star 300ss welder, Is there anyone that could give me any info on this welder, It is seemingly capable of doing stick,mig and tig welding, Does that mean it would have the high frequency for doing aluminum? I acquired the machine but since it is 3ph and I only have 2ph I can't use it. It is an older machine by the looks of it with some paint overspray and some scuff marks from use in the shop it came from. the welder was just checked out and tested full range and contacts cleaned, and tested good. I was wandering if anyone would have a fair price range for selling this welder. I am interested in a welder for doing stick and tig for welding aluminum and stainless welding up to 1/2" any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Sam

You don't have 2 phase power, this is a misconception. You have 2 lines which together comprise single phase power.

High frequency is an arc starting method and isn't related to what metal you may be welding. For aluminum, you need AC TIG and lots of current.

For getting pricing information, nothing beats ebay these days. Look at completed auctions only. Or, you could try selling it on craigslist for a bit more than you paid for it. If you get several calls right away then you know your price is a bit low, and you could cancel the craigslist ad and then repost it a few weeks later a bit higher. Might chap some guys' bacon, but it's legal. Your goal should be to get out from under it without losing any money, thereby getting a very important lesson for free, namely don't buy 3-phase welders unless you have 3-phase power.

Good luck!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote: (snip)

I realize this is the correct answer in 99% of the times it is brought up, but since I live about 30 miles from one of the places you can still get

2-phase power wired up to your business:

Todd Rich

wow.

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Try this link to Miller User's Manual to read about this welder.

It is constant current (CC) DC most suitable for stick and tig, although may be used for CC mig with a voltage sensing feeder. Not AC, so really only suitable for heavy Aluminum done DCEN with helium.

Three phase makes this unuseable for most who may be intersted in a big old transformer power supply, so it would make a good boat anchor.

Reply to
Ipeak

Remove the 55s in email address to reply or reply to group, thanks

[...]

I think what I have on my property is two high lines of the three on the street. From one of the high lines is a tap to a transformer that then provides 220 at

180 degrees. Single phase 220/240.

I suspect I could at great (but not as bad) expense install three transformers and run an inverted V delta input and generate 66% eff output getting 3phase.

This was once a lumber mill site - and the four transformers are still here. Two are used (by me) as line terminations at the end of the stub from the main line on the highway. The other two are for the shop (first) and then house.

Oddly, I tap off the same high line on both transformers.

Martin

Mart> Todd Rich wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn