Miller Gold star 300ss

Not sure if this is the place to post this message but since it deals with welding I thought it might be the place to get some help, I have a Miller Gold Star 300ss welder, Is there anyone that could give me any info on this welder, It is seemingly capable of doing stick,mig and tig welding, Does that mean it would have the high frequency for doing aluminum? I acquired the machine but since it is 3ph and I only have 2ph I can't use it. It is an older machine by the looks of it with some paint overspray and some scuff marks from use in the shop it came from. the welder was just checked out and tested full range and contacts cleaned, and tested good. I was wandering if anyone would have a fair price range for selling this welder. I am interested in a welder for doing stick and tig for welding aluminum and stainless welding up to 1/2" any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Sam

It is a good, solid welder. Do not worry about three phase, making three phase from single phase is not very difficult and not expensive. Stick welding can cover a large range of projects. If you got this one for not too much, you you did well.

Ignoramus31024

welding I thought it might be the place to get some help, I have a Miller Gold Star 300ss welder, Is there anyone that could give me any info on this welder, It is seemingly capable of doing stick,mig and tig welding, Does that mean it would have the high frequency for doing aluminum? I acquired the machine but since it is 3ph and I only have 2ph I can't use it.

scuff marks from use in the shop it came from. the welder was just checked out and tested full range and contacts cleaned, and tested good. I was wandering if anyone would have a fair price range for selling this welder. I am interested in a welder for doing stick and tig for welding aluminum and stainless welding up to 1/2" any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

Post a close-up photo of the controls; I'm sure you will get numerous opinions!

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

it would have the high frequency for doing aluminum?

The Goldstar 300 is a nice high end Constant Current supply but it needs accessories for doing TIG or MIG. For doing other than scratch- start DC TIG you would need to at a High Frequency unit. I believe the Miller HF 251D is wired to work with that unit. Also there are no gas solenoids in the supply so you would need to have an Argon valve on your torch head. These are inexpensive and easy to install.

This would not be my first choice for a MIG supply although Mig would be possible with a voltage sensing wire feeder. Again you would need a gas valve to run CO2.

Miller still sells the Goldstar 302 which appears to be the same unit but with digital meters. Download the specifications from:

The resale value of the three phase units is not good. Unless someone is looking for that particular unit you may have a hard time selling it for more than $500.

Reply to
starbolins

If it is 3 Phase, then it is DC only, and not good for TIG'ing aluminum.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson