LIMA to Hornby coupling conversion?

Hi again folks.

Could someone please advise if there is a conversion part available that will enable me to convert a Lima carriage to use Hornby couplings?

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

Not exactly what you're looking for but I've just been converting Lima PWA UKF Fertiliser Vans to accomodate the Bachmann mini-type coupling.

I simply cut off the Lima coupling flush with the end of the bogie, superglued and screwed a suitable sized strip of black Plastikard to the top of the bogie, and then did the same with the Bachmann coupling to the underside of the bit of Plastikard. The length of the Plastikard support will depend upon the radii of your curves and the distance needed between buffer heads.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Cheers John - what I am wanting to do is simply have consistent couplings - your method seems fine. I was just hoping I could "pop" the Lima ones and grab a "converter" It may be I need to go the way you suggest.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

couplings -

LOL - I wouldn't be messing around like that if there was an easier solution, but the Lima couplings are horrendous and leave a great chasm between pairs of wagons. In the end I've got it down to the point where I can convert a wagon in around 15-20 minutes so it's no major chore, but with the Lima couplings being moulded onto the wagon bogies it does require an irreversible snip.

I made an error in my original description in saying that I screwed and glued the Plastikard strip to the *top* of the bogie. The reality is that it was attached to the underside of the end of the bogie, with the coupling being fitted on to the top of the plastic.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

my sincere apologies - the couplings on the 4 wheel wagons I have here seem to plug in. - there must be different setups for bogies.

But as my question relates to a particular bogie'd van as well, I will likely go with your method

Thanks John

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

Indeed, mostly the four & six-wheel stock has plug in couplings.

Bogie stock generally has the coupling moulded integral with the bogie.

John.

Reply to
John Turner