Alan Gibson conversion kit for Hornby Black 5

Hi folks, I have done a few of my Diesels with the Alan Gibson range of conversion kits for P4. I saw in the website that they also do a conversion kit for a Hornby and Bachmann Black 5. Is this as easy to do or do I have to build a new chassis for it too?

Thanks,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

They are wheelset replacements. More work than the diesels, but not a whole new chassis. If heading down the whole-chassis solution, there are several makers offering designs which plug under various RTR bodies.

With the wheelsets, the extra mechanical bits to consider: Attaching valve gear/connecting rods. The Hornby/Bachmann may have larger holes than the Gibson crankpins, so will need bushing. Or you need new rods (often available as etches). Clearances on valve gear (the usual P4 clearance issues). Brake gear may need removing and remounting further out.

Cosmetic bits: Do the frames lying a long way back from the wheels look right, or are new cosmetic side frames required.

I'm tempted to do a set on either the standard class 2 2-6-0, or perhaps wait for the new Hornby standard 4.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

"Robert Wilson" wrote

It's perfectly possible to convert the loco to EM using the existing chassis, but I can't say whether it will convert to P4.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is that what you model John?

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

"Robert Wilson" wrote

No, my 4mm modelling is strictly OO Fine Scale, but several of my customers are adherents of EM and I know at least one has converted more than one Black 5.

My other modelling interests are 7mm Fine Scale and USA outline HO-scale.

Hopefully my next layout project will be O-scale in the garden - eventually!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Call me mad but i'm going to have a go at P4 in the garden, on a platform bracketed to the back of my garden fence.

Might set up a site for it too.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

"Robert Wilson" wrote

Interesting challenge, but whatever floats your boat.

Be interesting to see & hear how you get on.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I've heard of S7 and EM in the garden, but I would have thought P4 would be pushing things a little to far, since P4 trackwork needs to be maintained far better than most other standards (I assume no-one is insane enough to try to run 2mm in the garden).

Good luck, anyway. It will be interesting to hear more about this.

Reply to
Philip