Royal Scot

Hi Can anybody tell me if any of the LMS Royal Scot class loco's ever had the blue livery during the BR days. If they did which loco's ran in it. Many thanks for any info Roger

Reply to
Roger Mitchell

"Roger Mitchell" wrote

I don't think so, or at least I've never seen any reference to same. My understanding was the blue livery was reserved for the top-link (Pacific) locos of the day.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Some non 'pacific' locos of the Great Western Railway, such as the Kings ran in blue livery.

Reply to
Thorodin

"Thorodin" wrote

The Kings were the largest express locos on BR(WR) and therefore qualified for blue livery. I don't believe any other 4-6-0s were so treated, although one or two Black 5s carried 'experimental' liveries but I can recall whether any of these were blue - I suspect not!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think some of the ex-GWR "Castles" may have also appeared in blue; apart from them and the "Kings" the only engines that I have ever seen evidence of having been painted blue were Pacifics. These include both ex-LMS classes, most - if not all - of the ex-LNER designs, but only the "Merchant Navy" class of the ex-SR.

Hope this helps,

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

ES Cox - Black 5's were lined up in various greens :- LNER, GWR and Malachite Southern. Not sure if they ran in these though. Sir Frank Ree ran in LNER green for a while, most upsetting - have the mainline version of it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

I think there was a 'grey' one too. I've certainly seen a picture of one of these (LNER green I think) at one of the London termini.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Reply to
Roger Mitchell

According to RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 2A:-

BR Blue, then BR Green Gresley A10 (Reclassified from A1 by Thompson) Gresley A3 (except 60070 Gladiateur [sic] & 60076 Galopin) Gresley A4 Thompson A1/1 (rebuilt Great Northern) Peppercorn A1

Straight to BR green Gresley A3 (60070 Gladiateur & 60076 Galopin only) Thompson A2/1 (developed from V2) Thompson A2/2 (rebuilt P2s) Thompson A2/3 (newbuilds) Peppercorn A2

The Raven A2s were all gone by the end of 1934 so of course never received BR livery.

HTH

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell