coach liveries

Hello,

During the 50's and 60's did any parcels vans (eg: Mark 1 BG full brakes, ex-LMS 50' BG full brakes, ex-LMS 40' GUV) carry UNLINED maroon livery?

Thanks, Roger Thomas

Reply to
Roger Thomas

"Roger Thomas" wrote

I'd be very surprised if they didn't, but can't currently prove it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Gangwayed stock should have been lined and non gangwayed stock should have been un-lined. I'll bet that there are exceptions to this rule though.

Reply to
John Shelley

This is a very good question and I wish I knew the answer. There are so few clear photos of BGs in the 50s to ascertain whether they were unlined or not. Also, I am unsure just what percentage of Mk1 BGs were originally painted cream/crimson. I cant recall seeing a photo of any in that livery, but might it be because they were from a later build, and so only a few were outshopped in those colours.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

Didn't we have this discussion not long ago? Non-gangwayed coaches were unlined crimson, not maroon.

Reply to
MartinS

Non-gangwayed coaches painted by BR from 1948 - 1956 were in unlined crimson. (ie the blood of the blood and custard). Those painted after 1956 up to around 1967 were painted maroon. (ie the darker colour intended to be the same as the former LMS red). Some of these maroon ones were lined.

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Most full brakes built from 1949 to 1956 were outshopped in the crimson and cream livery but two batches had plain unlined crimson, these were 80617 - 80671 and 80965 - 81014. After 1956 the crimson and cream ones got repainted in lined maroon, the plain crimson ones got unlined maroon. This is from Keith Parkin's book published by the HMRS. So far as ex LMS vehicles are concerned I don't have hard data but its a reasonable bet that there were examples of all these liveries. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Due to a shortage of rolling stock the LMR made extensive use of ex-LNER Gresley coaches especially the BG and according to photographs these were unlined.

(kim)

Reply to
kim