Class J 39

Hi Can anybody tell me if the J39 class loco's where ever in a green livery? Many thanks Roger.

Reply to
Barbara Mitchell

"Barbara Mitchell" wrote

I don't think so.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Almost certainly not, LNER livery would have been black and BR livery would have been black.

Reply to
Jerry

I doubt it. IIRC, there was a plan to make all LNER engines green but I'm not certain that this would've applied to the J39. In practice, the onset of Nationalisation and the need to save money post-war make it unlikely any J39s would've been repainted. 'Yeadon's Register' or 'RCTS Locomotives of the LNER' will say for sure. Off the top of my head:-

LNER Pre-1928ish, they'd be in the original LNER goods/mixed-traffic livery of black with single read lining. Number on tender under LNER. In practice, this is a very limited time period in relation to when the locomotives came out.

LNER Post 1928, the red lining was dropped for economy reasons and the number was moved to the cab sides with larger LNER transfers on the tender.

In BR days they were in all black as you see with the most common BR Black Bachmann models.

Note that anyone converting a Bachmann BR J39 to LNER livery will need to file off the smokebox number and shed plates. When my Dad gets round to it, the one running on Thorpe Thewles will be in post-1928 LNER black to save him some grief. ;-)

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"Barbara Mitchell" wrote

Found five minutes so I checked Part 6A of "Locomotives of the LNER" which is quite specific about the J39s. The section on liveries states:-

"The whole class ran in black livery throughout its existence."

John.

Reply to
John Turner