Royal Train - further question

Hi again all

I have just been musing about the concept pf the Royal Train and am wondering if anyone has available further info on 19th and early 20th century trains that were decked out to take royalty around. The questions I have include:

Were they a special livery?

Did the trains have elaborately fitted interiors, inc. sleeping, entertaining and dining?

Was Pullman involved in any of the trains?

IS there any available RTR stock that is readily available that I could convert to be a suitable facsimile of particularly the earliest Royal Trains?

What additional livery do I need to apply to locomotives to indicate who it is carrying?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

For basic prototype information suggest you visit the NRM in York - even my wife, not a railway enthusiast, enjoyed looking at the carriages from the Victorian & Edwardian Royal Trains. And read

Reply to
ricardianno

Pullman haven't been involved with trains in the UK since, I think, before W.W.II war years.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

understand that - I was referring to the period preceding that time

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

thanks for responding - I would love to go to the NRM but unfortunately am unable to do so, being in Australia. It isn't off the cards in the future though.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Hi Steve

There is a good book on the history of royal trains including may pictures and drawings of the stock used.

Title Royal Trains Author Patrick Kingston ISBN 06000562875 Publisher Spring Books 1985

The full royal trains were for extended tours and had bedrooms, dining rooms and state rooms.

Pullmans were used probably after your date of interest particulartly for short journeys say to portsmouth from London.

There is a special head code for royal trains of 4 lamps.

Regards

Tony Cane Sceretary World War Two Railway Study Group

Reply to
t.cane

excellent news =- now to find the book!

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote in news:Z7mng.3641$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au:

My understanding is that most if not all of what were to become the Big Four had their own Royal Train sets. I've got pics of the vehicles that made up the GWR sets and even some basic plans (from the Russel Books) from them.

Drop me an email over the weekend and I'll scan them for you if required (the books are with the layout in the garage)

The engine would most usually carry the crest applicable to the most important passenger, the Royal Crest, those french flower things the Prince of Wales has and so forth. Often one on the front and one on each side. Engines could often also be temporarily re-named for the occassion to make their names more applicable to the passenger. The crests would be quite large, around the size of a smokebox door.

Another thing they would do is dress up special trains for other important passengers .. say Gen Kitchener on a trip home following a little brush in the brushout in the Empire. In such cases the engines would often carry crests but they in this case they would often be a Union Jack wreath type afair draped around a effergy of a very pretty Britannia.

Funeral trains ... purple ribbons for Royalty ... esp a King/Queen HIM The Empress of India etc.

And as a final aside the GWR built a 060 pannier tank in to a pretend coach body for day to day use on the Windsor route for the use of lesser royals and the court.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

will email now - do I remove the rubbish?

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Hi Chris

If you could email me - remove the obvious - I will be pleased to reply. Both my email attempts failed

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

For the visit of a foreign head of State, say the French President, the loco would be all bulled up to the nines, probably crossed British and French flags on the smokebox door, maybe red,white and blue drapings along the boiler handrails. For a short run such as from a Channel port to London, possibly Pullman cars could have been used, maybe one of the State cars as well. The make-up of Churchill's funeral train should be fairly easy to find out. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

E.g.,

MartinS

"mindesign" wrote in news:UJgog.3823$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au:

Sorry Steve a combination of very long hours at work and a failed internet connection means that this is the first time I've seen your note. I'll do some scanning over the weekend re the GWR vehicles.

my email: cwilson at britwar dot co dot uk

... as you've found out combinations of the other addresses get bounced. Sorry about that but I'm associated with so many sites (and of course emails) up until recently I've been getting several hundred invitations to meet "sally", enhance my manhood (not necessary!!!!) and invest in up and coming stocks a day. A new filterting regime has cut that down now to a few dozen a day ... quite managable. Hence I'm now just a little paranoid about providing links to working emails.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

You mean you don't want a clockwork Percy?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee