Royal Train - question

hello again all

I am wondering if Hornby's offering entitled The Royal Train was a real train and if so, when did it run?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

It's a close resemblance.

The coaches are the firms standard Mk2 & Mk3 offerings simply painted into Royal Train livery, but without any of the modifications which were incoporated into the prototypes (wider doors in some instances I recall).

Only in recent years has there been specific locos (examples of classes 47 &

67 diesels) dedicated to working the train. As a general in the past rule any 'bulled up' loco, not long ex-works, could find itself on such a working.

Hornby have also release more than one 'Royal Train' pack from memory.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

type used. Hornby make this clear on the box.

Reply to
titans

Sometimes there *were* dedicated 'Royal' engines; post-war, the LNER's

- and later Eastern Region's - choice was invariably the B2 'Royal Sovereign' (formerly 'Manchester City') for hauling the train in the more southerly parts of its network, particularly to/from Sandringham. Of course, when not needed for such work it saw service on 'ordinary' trains such as GN line semifasts or Cambridge expresses.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

wrote

Yes there were the 'Royal Claud' 4-4-0s too, I'd forgotten about them.

John.

Reply to
John Turner