Royal Enfield flat twin

I've bought one of these (air cooled petrol version) out of SE magazine & it's being collected for me from deepest Suffolk & delivered when I'm in Kent in a couple of weeks time.

The trouble is I cannot find a picture of one nor have I ever tried to pick one up, so was wondering if anyone here has one (and/or a picture) so I can tell my mate what to expect.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Kim, Show him a picture of a Petter twin or one of your Normans, all look very similar.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Well, they look something like this (pic emailed off list). We have a dangerously similar taste in engines

Reply to
Nick H

I have a couple of these flat twins -- 1 250cc & 1 350cc. I assume both are '40's, ex military. I bought them whilst in a RE-aware era -- at that time had a Connie, & an ex-works plot that had won an ISDT Gold Medal (not by me ...)

Absolutely conventional. Alloy crankcases, cast iron barrels. Heaviest component is the big external flywheel/fan. Easily lifted by average weakling (eg me).

Suspect mine are going nowhere, other than as boat anchors! My all-things-RE vapours have past, & the engines are too modern for me.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

"Colin" wrote (snip):-

Don't you dare!

Reply to
Nick H

A friend collected the 350cc Enfield two stroke twin that I'd bought sight unseen out of SEM classifieds last month, fetching it from most rural Suffolk and took it home to Cambridge. Two weeks later we met in Kent and I relieved him of it on Sunday last. This cost me a bottle of Merlot, a very good deal, I thought ;o)).

It is a bit - OK, a lot! - rusty, but (sans generator) it really is all there. Added to which, it rotates freely and has a lot of compression which increased steadily as I cranked it. I added some new petrol to the fairly stale (but not totally dead) petrol and cranked it over. Nothing, as expected. Cleaned the points roughly and in situ, gave it a squidge of Gypsy's Breath and damn me it fired! I cranked it enthusiastically for a while and then - typical of all bl**dy two strokes! - it fired again just as I was about to give up. It didn't fire again, but it is at least hopeful.

It'll be a while until I get around to it, but it will only need stripping, cleaning and painting - although I reserve judgement on the known-to-be-troublesome ignition. You can have a look at it on

scroll to the end of the album.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Really, some people. All the horror stories of unreliability, dodgy ignition systems etc etc but Siddorn gets one which looks as if it has been dragged out of a hedge, fixes it with a firm stare and the b****r runs!

Reply to
Nick H

BTW. If legend is to be believed 'sans generator' is their normal state as they were apparently supplied with couplings allowing them to be used with many different types (see

True? I don't know, but those swing bolts on the drive side of the frame certainly point to some sort of QD arrangement.

Reply to
Nick H

Surely all those Viking sagas have taught you not to spoil a good story with the facts!

Reply to
Nick H

Ah, would that it were so! It fired twice in half an hour or so of cranking, muttering and twiddling and two explosions do not a running make ;o))

Regards,

Kim

"Nick H" wrote

Reply to
J K Siddorn

It wasn't the sagas that taught me that, it was working in the motor trade!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

"Nick H" wrote

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Hi I am new to this hobby and have managed to pick up an Enfield flat twin,excuse my ignorance but being a 2 stroke does that mean I have to mix the fuel before putting in the tank and if so can someone tell me the best oil and what ratio,also what oil goes in the top of the motor. Any replays would be gratefully received.

Reply to
ANDY