For sale, fully fencible Mauger

A blatant attempt to get your attention!

In the early 1960's, I came across an advert in Exchange and Mart which read as follows. "Mauger for sale. Fully fencible version available if required". There was a phone number from which we could never get a reply.

I have spent the thick end of forty years wondering what a mauger was and just what one had to do to make it fully fencible!

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

You've reminded me to buy our local Loot type ad mag called Quids In. The mispellings in it are what you pay the pound for. I wish I could remember some of them, but maybe tonight after I have read it.

I can imagine poor Tracey, fresh out of phonetic spelling school, on the phone trying to type a message from a heavily accented Welsh farmer or Scouse builder about stuff she's never heard of. The number of variations on Bamford woofter (Wuffler - hay turner), Forduson Dextra Track terr or wacker plate is quite amazing. (You can tell which bits I read). Jeni enjoys the livestock section, which has many unheard of breeds of poultry (6 Cockeralls free to good home £5, springs to mind) .

No very useful suggestions on your puzzle. Mauger? Manger maybe ? Auger for making fence post holes?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Our local rag carried an advert some time ago

"For sale Ford Escort deluxe saloon First registered October 1791 Owner deceased"

I jest not.

John

Reply to
John Manders

In the local paper of a large national capital city in another hemisphere from me, there were once some classic mis-spellings of tractor names, like Matthew Ferguson, and Alice Chalmers. I guess for the majority of the readers of that paper it didn't matter one little bit.

Reply to
David Elliston

I think Arthur has it about right, a typesetting error with the "n" inverted to make a "u", should have been manger.

N is one of those letters whose upper and lower case appearances don't agree with each other, like "a" and "r" for example.

Peter

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

There was one mauger of note - the speedway star of the '60s and '70s Ivan Mauger (pronounced major).

Christopher W.

Reply to
Christopher Wigdor

Thanks Peter - and a fully fencible Manger is a - wot? ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

Reply to
J K Siddorn

A manger with a provision for a fence ? :-))

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Reminds me of the famous ad for a "Rusting Hornsby" - still makes me smile :-)

In message , Arthur Griffin writes

Reply to
John Ambler

Peter, that is in-de-fencible

JW² in Oz Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

Reply to
Jack Watson

... and there I was saying that the puns on the model engineering newsgroup were getting bad! :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes