Gets on my wick

Gentlemen,

I had one of those days where by lunch I had finished after a bit of Admin I decided to browse for engines on EBay. It amazes me how much stuff is EITHER RARE or VERY RARE especially when I now in my meagre collection of junk I must have thousands of pounds worth of rare stuff. Do they think we are ijits or are there some real ijits out there.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

We went to a lovely place the other day, real old fashioned junkyard type of farm, stuff everywhere and nobody knew what was what, or even cared.

They must have had thousands of pounds worth of items in steel-sided pallets out in the rain, and a long procession of trailers, vehicles and other stuff all the way back to the main road via a muddy dirt road.

The other thing we noticed today out in the sticks somewhere was a petrol bowser with the compartment on the back, just like the Zwicky ones with the Lister A. Don't know if there is an engine inside, might be worth a peek...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I always find it funny when I see an item on ebay thats states very rare starionary engine. Only to open the page and find out that its a bog standard 26DH. However recently, every other engine on ebay appears to be super rare (or so they claim at least) and worth stupid amounts of money.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

It must be the latter looking for the former ! As I don't want to have to deal with ijits, then if its says its rare then I generally ignore it. Maybe I should just add -rare to all my search criteria - or just be more tolerant of ijits !

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Just part of the joy of eBay.

In general, "claims and judgements" should be ignored or treated with skepticism.

Measurements (e.g. weight, length etc), and direct observations (name on casting says "hello world") may be trustworthy,

All other judgements should be made BY YOU from the photographs.

This is the way of unidentified (by the seller) bargains :-)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Now Peter, you know you can't just go dropping statements like this without telling us WHERE IT IS...

:-)

Cheers, Scruff.

PS there's another good one like this just north of Carlisle on the A7 ;-)

Reply to
scruffybugger

When I have had a good look over it, THEN I'll let you all know :-))

It isn't local, it was nearly a 200 mile round trip from home.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
campingstoveman

In 'your' van...... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

In reverse ? so it looks like you are just passing in the opposite direction:-))

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

The other Thursday I was in a queue of traffic on a flat straight Fenland road doing 5mph using wind power.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Tha must have been in the flatlands near me....;-)

Are you sure you weren't adding gas assistance?

;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Have a look at this:-

I was vaguely interested when it was at £75, thought the guy offering a 'buy it now' of £350 was off his rocker, and nearly fell off my chair when I saw what it actually went for!

We're all rich ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

The use of the word "rare" is typical of the mindset of many eBay sellers. The glint of money is strongly seen in the metaphorical eye of the advertiser &it blinds them in their Gaderene rush towards the moneypot. Personally, I entirely fail to see why anyone would want to take up valuable description headline with "rare" - is in in your search list? No, nor mine!

There will now be a spate of Marvils dragged blinking into the light as others try to climb upon the bandwagon. Sadly, they will probably find that the one person who was willing & able to cough up over four hundred quid for an example of Mr Villiers' license-built American engine has already done so. Trouble is that it all tends to drive the price of the Iron Toys ever upwards - bad for you & I.

I have two flavours of Marvil. One on a cast aly base with direct-lift carburettor vee belted to a dynamo & another upon its ownsome with a tank & properly built carb. I'm gratified to see that I've invested my money so well, but really it's academic as they aren't for sale. Perhaps Hazel and/or my kids will raise a glass to my good judgement as they sit counting the sheckles post auction - may it long be delayed!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote

Ah, I think I might know who it is, we had an email discussion about moggiedud's bodged up Mar-Vil - that 18-14mm 'plug adaptor was glued into the head!

Reply to
Nick H

He likes Maytag stuff & look what else he's bought ..........

I notice that p6354 has two negative feedback reports that do not appear in his rating.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Nick H" wrote

And I see you have bought from him in the past Kim!

Reply to
Nick H

Ahh Moggidude. Enough said really.

Reply to
miley_bob

So I did - sharp eyes there Nick! His name is Ray Dudley & he lives in Basildon.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

KS> So I did - sharp eyes there Nick! His name is Ray Dudley & he lives in KS> Basildon.

I'm pretty sure he's Simon Jennings' (of recent Mar-Vil enquiry) father-in- law. The whole family are regulars at Barleylands - last year I picked up some Petter bits there which Simon had donated to Roland C and delivered them to Roland at Enstone.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh