Gets on my wick

Yes he is my father-in-law although to bid that much I should disown him!

As I told Nick the other day I was enquiring about the Mar-vils on his behalf as he has 2 and we were saying how stupid the price of the one on ebay was - I never thought Ray would have bid on it but he said he was going to have it at any cost and put in a bid of =A3550!!!

He also has 3 Maytags which he paid a lot less than the one that sold recently on ebay for!

I on the other hand will not pay stupid prices and have just bough a nice Ruston apr for =A3250 and a version of the gowin self oiling pump with a differant makers name on it for =A325 so hopefully as the advet says the clever/dumb balance has been restored!

Buy the way the 2 negs he has were for 1 a Stuart compressor he sold to a guy who was unhappy about it's condition adn when offered a refund upon return of the item said it's too late now I have dismantled it and will be leaving a neg! The other is for when he bid on a van which had a fresh mot even though there were more holes in the chassis than a tea bag and the brakes didn't work!!!

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
K & S Jennings

I've kept out of this until now but I'm afraid it's called the free market. Any item is worth whatever someone else will pay for it. It's also up to the buyer to decide how much he wants to pay. How many of us know someone who will pay =A3 for a bottle of water when it's almost free out of the tap? It's their money and their choice.

As for the description RARE, what does that mean? Are there thousands, tens of thousands or millions in the world? It depends on your base figure. Let's face it, most of our toys have not been made for many decades. They were made in limited quantities then and only a small percentage survive now. One could surmise that they are all rare, maybe even including my lawn mower engines.

Perhaps the most telling comment above is Martins description of his stuff :-) I don't posses junk, just undervalued items that I've collected over the years for my own pleasure. There may have been a few isolated cases where my enthusiasm got the better of me. Anyone want a couple of M6 shaft retainers?

John

Reply to
John

Rare. Well, if the things were alive, a species that hovered around a 1,000 would be Endangered, I believe. I know from personal research that if a human breeding population drops below the mid twenties, that tribal group is irrevocably headed for extinction. It has happened several times in recorded history.

I have a few unusual engines, examples of which might be counted on the fingers of both hands. I look after them, but still run them as their maker intended! In the long term, our Iron Toys too will become endangered and then extinct unless we take care of them (conservation) and as with some early motorcycles now, build replicas (captive breeding populations)

Being aware of this, I do what I can to preserve and conserve the unusual and also support museums that are actively collecting, conserving and making new parts to bring back to life dead examples of engines that have shuffled off this mortal coil. Like all here, I am always willing to do what I can to help others in our mutual quest to keep alive the metal animals in our charge.

To round out this analogy, I'm aware that there are already those that are in production making full size castings & building replicas of the early and uncommon fire-breathing beasts that once thumped the earth with their song. I have a question for the panel - does this constitute releasing them into the wild? ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Snip< As for the description RARE, what does that mean? Are there thousands, tens of thousands or millions in the world? It depends on your base figure. Let's face it, most of our toys have not been made for many decades. They were made in limited quantities then and only a small percentage survive now. One could surmise that they are all rare, maybe even including my lawn mower engines.>

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Anyone want a couple of M6 shaft retainers?

Don't ask John for a few because that constitutes hundreds as I found out :-)) Regarding my original post, my point was, badly made, that nobody is honest about what they are selling. They have to bump it up.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Some people are so ungratefull. It was actually a devious ploy on behalf of my wife who collected this ebay buy from near Martin. I told her to leave him a few but she's determined to get rid of my stuff one way or another.

It's called Artistc Licence.

John (Tall, dark and handsome).

Reply to
John

Tall yes, Dark maybe, when the lights are out but Handsome, don't push your luck John, your an ugly bugger like me :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Ah, yes, but 'rare' is an entirely movable feast.

How many times have you looked around for something for months or years without a single sighting only to find that when you do finally come across the 'rare' thing and pay too much, dozens of the bloody things appear at half the price?

No? Praps it's just me then :)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

Same for most of us I'm afraid :-))

Never came across a 'rare' engine, as 'rare' needs to be put into context in relation to where, how old, how many made, how many left extant and so on.

Our rarest engine is the 15hp Diter diesel that we brought back from Spain in the late 1990's, and by chance we were put in touch this last week or so with the company founder after enquiring about a book from a bookshop in Badahoz, where the Diter factory still stands, now as Deutz-Diter.

The bookshop owner knew the family well and was pleased that someone had enquired about the old engines.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Just seen a listing which reminded me of one of my own pet hates :- "VERY UNIQUE ITEM" - now what is that supposed to mean?

Reply to
Nick H

Unique means there's only one of it. Very unique must mean there's less than that so it's a forgery/reproduction/mistake.

Either way, it ain't worth looking at.

John

Reply to
John

As of 8pm tonight there are 46676 'VERY UNIQUE ITEMS' on just the english site of fleabay. That is looking at the titles & descriptions.

Must be a lot of optimists or maybe pessimists.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

What it means, my dear Nick, is that the standard of written English seen on eBay is simply appalling. ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn