Quiet innit!!

Not much activity here at the moment! Personally I'm dodging showers trying to get the garden organised, waiting for the joiner to show up to build the garage for "Dolly" my 1948 Vauxhall 14, mustering the energy to visit my local 2nd hand steel stockist for the materials to erect a car port for my "daily" car, and trying to find places for all my junk that is preventing my partner from getting her car into her garage! In between that lot I'm still trying to make my mind up whether to get back "among the engines" or transfer my allegiance to the Classic car scene again, or make room and time for both!! Have visited 4 rallies this year and must admit that the engines still stir enthusiasm despite what I have said previously.

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Charles,

I can understand completely the dilemma, I to have a classic car and I have Stationary engines and recently have had to decide where my loyalties reside and I have decided on the car so I will be putting the engines out to grass via EBay after the rally season has ended. I have made many friends and will hope that they do not ignore me because of my decision but I feel that I am getting to old for sitting in a field in the cold and wet when I can do it in the luxury of a comfortable car.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

but I feel that I am

If you get a sturdy engine like a Lister 6-1 or similar you could get some of those infrared electric patio heaters from Screwfix and rig them up at your pitch.

BTW was anyone at the Cheshire Steam Fair? I had a nice 5 minute chat with a chap who had a collection of lawnmowers.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Been on the road since 04.30 this morning, drove up to Kendoon Power Station, dismantled and removed a large 3/4 ton switchboard and took it down to the Anson Museum. Back home 9pm.

700+ miles, but worth it to see Geoff's face when he saw the board for the first time!

Picture before we broke it into the four panels (1-1/4" thick Slate)

It is about 8ft square.

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

campingstoveman wrote (snip):

That is sad news Martin. I came to the opposite conclusion a while ago over my Marlin kit car. Sorry (very) though I was to see it go, It really didn't justify the yearly round of mot, insurance and tax for the very limited use it got. Not just on cost grounds - I found the whole embuggerance factor of having to go through a load of red tape before one could enjoy ones toy a real chore and it spent not a few seasons unused because I didn't get round to it(once SORN appeared on the scene I couldn't even get away with that!).

Engines OTOH don't eat anything while 'resting' and can be dragged out for a happy afternoon's tinkering in the privacy of ones own back garden at any time without having to queue up at the post office.

Of course given unlimited space and funds, I would probably have a whole fleet of interesting vehicles - and a country estate with enough private roads to be able to exercise them without having to trouble with any bureaucratic nonsense!

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Finding the time and enthusiasm for two major hobbies is probably beyond me at present, and cars don't do a lot for me anyway :-((

'IF' I had to make the choice, I'd stay with engines, as the people are much more friendly and have little of the snobbishness that I find in some car hobbyists (hopefully Martin will stay his normal friendly self) and the other aspect I dislike is the Concours enthusiast that will nitpick his way through any exhibit, explaining why that particle model shouldn't have this or that feature etc etc ad nauseum.

Talking with Geoff Challinor at the museum yesterday over a cuppa, really enforced my view of the hobby and the people in it.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

Shame it isn't April Fool, I couldn't resist it and it woke some of you up, there you go Charles no longer quiet. As for my Lister M there is a few of you going to fight over it :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

All, To put things in order I do have two hobbies the main one is Stationary Engines and always will be but I have a wife who is finding it extremely difficult to get around because of Ostio Arthritis in both of her knee's, so bad as to warrant our doctor registering her for a blue badge for her to use when out with me or our Daughter. As most of you are aware I owned a Bedford CA Camper for over eleven years but it got more difficult for my wife to get in it and the same goes for the Company Van so when the chance of the Rover came up I sold the Camper. The Rover has two benefits, it is low so my wife can get in and out without to much difficulty and I get to enjoy running a reasonable classic car. It also allows my wife and I to enter local rally's and show's with the car and it is a day out for her as well. With the exception of Haddenham Rally it is very difficult for me to take the Van and Caravan and an engine plus my wife's Invalid scooter, the exception with Haddenham Rally is a very good friend takes the scooter for us on his trailer as his son takes their caravan. I treat the car very much as a daily use classic and keep her in good order but I am not interested in spit and polish shows as I find them a complete waste of time especially when you see vehicles delivered on a trailer and not driven, what's the point I ask

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

You're a bad man Martin - the phrase hook line and sinker would accurately describe my reaction to your 'announcement'!

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Reply to