current restoration project and oldest engine

Gentlemen,

You've been at it for some weeks now so lets see your latest projects progress. For a bit of fun lets also have the Date of the oldest engine you own. How many engines do you have and how many does your wife think you have. :-))

Who will start the ball rolling.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Current project(s) Lister D driving a sludge pump. Lister D with Aux Hopper and two Fairbanks morse 6 HP Z types.

Oldest engine must be the Fairbanks Z type. 1917 I believe.

Engines owned: As above plus sundry listers,petters,villiers,coventrys,Ruston PB 1.5 hp and a Armstrong Siddeley Diesel.

On the look out for: Rad Cooled Lister D and an Amanco open crank.

Dream Engines: Open Crank Blackstone or Ruston Hornsby AP or IP.

Reply to
Philip Carter

If either of us find two rad cooled D's let the other know as I want one to :-))

Mart> Camp>> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Martin, I'm currently restoring a crossley 1065, a Lister M and H, although the H is a long termer needing a big end and main bearings cast, piston rings, valve work and some iron parts cast. I can't honestly say i've made much progress recently but the crossley should be ready for the easter crank up at IF. Currently we have 15 Listers, a Fairbanks Z 1 1/2hp a fairbanks Z 6hp, the crossley a international LA or LB? a JAP 6, and a stuart turner twin cylinder generator.

The 6 HP fairbanks is the oldest we have it's dated about 1916, followed by a 1918 Lister L type.

Thankfully I don't have to tell the wife any fibs cause i aint got one :-)

Cheers, Gary M .

PS Martin, I was down you neck of the woods today I collected a mini digger from huntington for my cousin.

Reply to
gary millward

Well, as you know, I've been having fun with the little Maytag and I feel next on the bench may be the ABC/Inglis charging set. Not strictly on topic, but in-between times I'm also making very slow progress on scratch building a largish (5" or so bore) hot air engine I've been planning and accumulating materials for for some time.

Oldest? Probably 1914 Marconi-Douglas which, like practically every other engine I own, could really do with some TLC. I havn't done a head count lately, by the time you start trying to work out how many the various wrecks of things like 80watt lightweight charging sets add up to it all gets a bit silly, but Helen probably has a better idea of numbers than me!

Reply to
Nick H

Tried rallying, didn't like it - people kept trying to engage me in conversation!

Reply to
Nick H

For myself currently repainting a Bamford OV3 after finding and fitting a good set of main bearings (the old ones were cracking and had some play). For middle son helping in the repainting of a Bamford EV1 after taking up slack in the main bearings and sorting out a replacement fuel tank (the old one was more lead filled than origonal metal on the bottom). Also sorting wheels axles and a timber trolly for a (believed to be) early Witte 2 HP from a Bean Spray Co (California) Pumping unit. For Youngest son rebuilding and painting a Bamford SV3 including sorting wheels, axles, trolly etc.

Oldest engine. Self - 1/8HP Scott Homer ( 1910 to 1920) Middle son - Lister J 1916 unrestored/Witte 1915/20. Youngest son - Amanco 2.1/4HP Pet/Par Post 1920( requires another block - anyone know of a spare anywhere).

Total between us

6off Bamfords 4off Listers Villiers WX II close coupled to water pump, Ruston PB, PT and Tangye Pump, Norman T300, CrossleyPH1060, Maytag 92, Conord F1, Alco, Scott Homer, Fowler, Buchann & Curwen (badged Detroit)Bradford, Witte & Amanco. Also Argosy and Stuart small pumps.

Andy M Milestones snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
andyengine

Well why didn't you call, I'm only about 15 miles south of there. :-((

Where is your entry.

Mart> Camp>> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

About time they saw light of day, maybe the 7th or 8th of May at Stotfold :-))

Mart> Well, as you know, I've been having fun with the little Maytag and I

Reply to
Campingstoveman

In message , Campingstoveman writes

I have one, but it's unfortunately not for sale.

Given enough tuits of the circular geometry, we are hoping to install it, belted to a 110v 300w alternator, in a small engine-house in our back garden this summer. It'll be used as a standby generator (via a transformer) in case of power cuts (increasingly frequent, for some reason), and also to power various odds and ends (strings of lamps, old radio kit, or whatever) out in the back garden just for the hell of it.

Geoff and I may turn up at Stotfold Mill in the Morris truck or the MM Minor; I'll have to check out the website and see what's to be done about booking-in for vehicles.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Current project is an extension to one of my sheds - now built in flat pack form and the concrete base cast today, hopefully get it built up next weekend, and then I can clear some space in the workshop and machine shop (which will inevitably then just fill up with more engines) and get on with some engine projects.... In no particular order - finish the Bamford EV1 that's been in bits for about 5 years now (thanks to Andy M for the correct banjo for the fuel pipe - no excuses to get it finished now ;-), build a skid unit for the big Tangye so I can drag it around in the yard and be able to run it without it jumping about, sort the generator on the Lalley Light so it charges, commission the Ruston VSO Start-o-matic plant for workshop power and domestic backup, and numerous other things that I've forgotten about until I start poking around under the tarps in the garden! Collection currently stands at about 30 engines I think, and I'm hoping to keep it that way, unless something interesting turns up! I'm sure the better half hasn't a clue what there is out there, but consindering she currently has 10+ slalom canoes in the sheds, house and garden she can hardly complain ;-) Earliest engine is probably the 1911 Tangye oil engine.

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

must come and relieve you of that shaper.

Mart>> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Just finished a 1.5 HP Petter M, looks great but an absolute b******d to start (hopefully the mag rewind will fix that).

Recently acquired Norman T600 needs some minor finishing.

'Unknown' probably Norman water cooled now rebuilt but needs petrol and water tanks fabricated (not my favourite job so could be some time!)

Main project currently is building a half scale Jaeger/Sparta/Sears Economy (machine shop, nice and warm, engine shop bloody freezing!)

After the Normans I might even get round to the Ruston PB or Douglas SV but then again ...........

Am I the only one who loves rebuilding the oily bits but gets bored sh**less doing the paintwork?

Totally knackered, looking forward to a few days lazing on the rally field! Might try a Normans only year to save lugging hundredweights of iron about (I told you I was knackered).

Oldest engine is the 1880's Otto. Sorry, dreaming again. Realistically the 'unknown' (Norman) from the early 20's. 1925 to 1930 seems to the favourite period.

I have no idea how many engines I have but whatever the number it is probably only half of those that Madam is aware of! I think she has an inkling as she hasn't been able to park her car in the garage for a couple of years and the tarpaulins seem to be multiplying!

Mark

Mark_Howard

Oldest engine : 1916 New-Way M type.

Current project: Drinking wine while luxuriating by the fire, to be replaced by

8hp Petter S-type, then the Lister 10/2 when lambing's over and weather is more clement (currently we have 3-4 inches of snow outside, it was -9degrees C two nights ago). The project queue is long and shows little sign of getting shorter.

Number of engines: Fourteenish. Jeni doesn't know the number, but is (generally) supportive.

Regards, Arthur G

the better half hasn't a clue what there

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Jenny is not going to be to happy if you replace your self with two engines by the fire :-)) We have more snow than you over here must be all of zero inches deep :-)) Get out there and take in the bracing air you wimp.

Mart> Oldest engine : 1916 New-Way M type.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

As usual, current events have usurped the grand plan....Fetched another toy today (SWMBO is in Teeside canoeing so hopefully won't notice...;-) Pics at

This will eventually become the workshop and engine shed power supply, as well as domestic backup.

After all the effort of shifting it I find that running an engine is a great form of stress relief - must try to do that more often.

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

The IZHR wasn't fitted with air starting, the connection is probably for an indicator, it was a college engine in all probability.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Been away building Saxon houses this weekend - great to be back there & able to sit around a roaring oak fire in sub zero weather.

Current projects.

The L'Aster is moving along at a satisfactory pace, just a question of fitting the bits together now.

I hope to find some time to spend on the ABC vee 4 this spring,

Having sold two P55's, I am resolved to clear the mid bench & get on with the Norton - hence the sudden flurry of bits on E-bay! This will continue, too. I must be more selective & many of the duplicates & stuff towards the back will find itself dragged blinking into the light in the coming weeks.

Before I'm too old to drag it about, I'd really like to bed the Crossley and its 110v dynamo on a decent concrete base & set it up as its Maker intended, with the 2" thick slate board on the wall. This will mean moving on a lot of junk - ooops, useful spares - in order to make the space to do that, so it isn't imminent.

Without going round with a furrowed brow, a pencil & a clip board, I'm not exactly sure how many engines I have. I suspect it is over seventy by now - the pleasures (and perils) of liking smaller engines .....

Oldest? Probably the L'Aster which I'm inclined to agree with Nick Highfield is probably pre First War. A couple of very early Villiers two strokes. The

1917 2 1/4hp Amanco. Crossley 1075's s/n indicates 1921 I believe. A ST N & P3, both 1920/30's.

The rest of it is all 1930's, WW2 or later - & this, of course, includes the two wrecked Merlins.

Finally, this is an interesting thread, so let's consider another aspect. What's your favourite, the one you'd be saddest to have to sell, no matter how much you got for it? And why? Supposing you know why, of course ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Thats a tricky one. I suppose the engine I would be saddest to see go would be my 1924 lister 2 L, because it belonged to my dad so I have a certain centimental attachment to it.

My favourite has to be the lister N although the Q is a very close second.

Regards, Gary M.

Reply to
gary millward

The current project is the Petter-Light set, but there's still so much to do it won't be ready for this season. I also need to do some work on the 8 hp Atomic, as I want to bring it out a bit more this year. I'm trying to come up with a repair method for the cooling tank that doesn't require welding :-( Oldest engine is the 1925 S type, and also the one I'd be least likely to get rid of. It would be a close call between that and the Petter-Light set.

Regards P T-E

Reply to
philipte