Optimistic Ebay Engine

Ebay Item No.7594852583

Is this Fairbanks, as the vendor says, extremely rare or is it just an early Z type? Am i missing something here?

Phil Carter

Reply to
Philip Carter

Phil, Seems a bit expensive to me, its trolley maybe original but cant see it making that much difference to me. Somebody will tell us.

Mart> Ebay Item No.7594852583

Reply to
Campingstoveman

IMO it is extremely optimistic as you say, BUT it doesn't appear to be a standard Z, the mixer/carb. is on the wrong side and the exhaust is 90 degrees out, in fact the whole head is 90 degrees out and it has a different carb/mixer assembly. AFIK the earlier Z's were headless and therefore totally different. Also the mag. is in the wrong place. Maybe there was a Z between the headless and the normal configuration. I don't know. If anyone has a copy of the elusive Wendell (sp.) they may be able to inform us.

Mark

Mark_Howard

Reply to
martin hirst

Reply to
martin hirst

I think he's gone a bit mad on the 0's ;-) Nice engine, but not worth that. If I you had that kind of money to spend I think this would be more reasonable:

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Martin,

You are of course right. I was fooled by the vast wheels into thinking it was a 1.5 to 2 HP item. The bigger engines had the mixer on the right and the exhaust pointing down.

All in all, a fairly standard item. Incredibly optimistic I'd say.

Mark

Mark_Howard

Interesting to see how many previous transactions by this vendor are with people who are "no longer a registered user" with ebay. I think there were 9 or 10, I didn't check for all duplicates. That's out of 92 transactions, 10%.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Maybe its the run up to the main rally season. I have noticed a few restored Lister D`s with £200+ starting prices. Did`nt sell though. It would be interesting for Stationary engine to report on the sale of engines on ebay in the same way they report on the Auctions. Could they do this? I presume ebay is a public auction and that they could publish the sales results. Not every engine obviously but a selection to give an idea. Who would mind there engine being featured? Yes/No?

Philip Carter

Reply to
Philip Carter

Did you spot the 18 sales to one buyer all with super positive feedback, when you look at that feedback the only dealings he has had are with this seller, possible price hiking?? or is it coincidence??

Andy M

milestones snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
andyengine

I don't know how permissible or otherwise it is but it's an interesting idea. I certainly wouldn't have an objection.

I may be wrong but I am getting the impression that eBay is starting to set the prices of our engines. It used to be that engines advertised in SEM were cheaper than eBay sales (which at times seemed unreasonably high) now they are at a comparable level.

Excluding items as mentioned in the OP and a few other opportunists sometimes SEM adverts now seem to be higher than the realised eBay prices.

Obviously this is far from a scientific study, more of a feeling. Other opinions?

Perhaps an SEM published article based on a bit of history would be interesting.

Mark

Mark_Howard

If you read the feedback, others have also noticed.

Draw your own conclusions :-))

You 'should' be able to conduct business, be it on ebay or elsewhere, with no shill bidding, no dodgy deals and so on. Looking at a seller's feedback has become de rigeur for us now, and we have walked away from quite a few auctions because the vendor was not looking straight.

Before you ask, we do have 100% feedback.... that goes for all the family as well, not just me!

Peter

Peter A Forbes