Fairbanks Morse headless

I have finished painting the bits for the headless and now have the base mounted on its nice new trolley. Anyway, when I was re-fitting the crank I noticed that the bearings would fit in either way round. These bearings have a flange on one end and are whitemetal. I would have thought that the flanges would have went to the inside of the block, up against the webs of the crank, so as to centralise the crank in the block. This, it turns out, is not the correct way round. The flanges go to the outside and, I would assume, you use the flywheels to position the crank central. Anyway, what I am getting at is, do you not think it would be better to centralise the crank by fitting the flanges to the inside, against the webs of the crank. Sorry for the long post, but it has been kind of quiet around here. I have also bought another new toy, a Ruston Hornsby 4 HP type BPR. This is in running condition and everything correct even down to the oiler. It is

1928 model. Will get some pics up when time allows. Also have a new trailer, only mention this as the guy I bought it from, Lakeland Trailers near Kendal, Cumbria, was spot on and the trailer is brilliant, same as an Ifor Williams only much cheaper !!!!

Cheers for now,

MartinH

Reply to
martin hirst

Where are the pics, must have pics to drool over :-))

Mart> I have finished painting the bits for the headless and now have the

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to
martin hirst

Reply to
martin hirst

Thanks Martin, nice engine the Fairbanks. how do you polish the nuts and bolts.

Mart> pics here if you want a look.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to