ebay engine

Can anyone throw any light on this engine that I am selling on ebay?

It is a Turner V-twin diesel engine 18hp, but it is not one I have ever seen at shows etc. Does this mean it is a boring engine, or a rare one?! Any ideas on the age of this engine?

I have found out nothing about this engine over the last 20years or so, I have done some searches, and I only seem to come up with 'Stewart Turner' - which does not seem to be related.

Any info highly appreaciated. Thanks for any help

ivan

Reply to
clap trap

Hi saw your listing on Ebay, and had a look inA-Z of Stationary Engines. Seems like it was made by Turner Diesels Wulfrana Works Villiers St Wolverhampton "while the V twin-cylinder engine was rated at 15bhp. A feature of the Turner diesel engine was the unusual angle of the cylinders, being set at 68 deg." " It is usually possible to date a Turner diesel engine from the serial number, the last three or four digits of the number indicate the month and year ie. 1049 would be October 1949" I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on here who would be able to give you more info rather than quotes as I have. HTH Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I'm not knowledgeable, but I have seen a couple of them, even done minor work on one, and took one out of a boat & replaced it with a Gardner 2L2! ISTR Turners became part of Rubery Owen, or maybe another large engineering outfit. There are a few around. A bit like a British motorbike, OK when it's running, sounds quite nice (unusual might be a better word in this case), but tends to throw a lot of oil around.

HTH Tim

Tim Leech

The closest that I've found is the Turner 2V95 with various rarings including 16.7hp @ 1500rpm and 16hp @ 1800rpm, but both with a 3.75 X

4.5 bore and stroke. Paul.
Reply to
Paul Bond

"Anthony" wrote (snip):-

Same Co. as the Turner 'Yeoman of England' tractor with its V4 diesel?

Reply to
Nick H

See this link for a photo and description of the tractor:

Richard H Huelin

The one and same! The Yeoman cost about twice as much as a Fordson, and had serious problems with transmission breakages, though the the later marks did have improvements in the engines so that they started from cold. Incidentally, ISTR the basic design was done by Arthur Freeman-Saunders, late of Lister and Fowler. The vee twin version of the engine does sound lovely when working, and despite the rather unusual 68 degree angle of the vee, it is pretty smooth.

Reply to
philipte

"clap trap" wrote (snip):-

On no particular evidence, I think it is another of those Cinderella engines - quite a few about but doesn't often get to go out. This doesn't mean it's "boring" just that given the choice of taking the Turner or a 'classic' open crank engine, most choose the latter. IMHO this is a shame as I believe that variety is the most important factor of any rally and I would no more like to see a line up consisting entirely of open cranks than I would, say, Lister D's.

Reply to
Nick H

About ten years ago there were, IIRC, 6 Turner V twins in the Honiton Hill Auction. All, along with much else, were bought by a chap with an incomprehensible brogue and a large hy-ab lorry. Last seen heading for Swansea docks. I would have liked one but they went too high for me. enjoy your weekend Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I think this is probably them today:-

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

There was an article in SE Magazine, may 2003 to july 2003 issues, on restoring a turner 2V95. I think its the same one that was at astle park this year. Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Thanks guys for all your help. Thanks especially to Peter for sending me the picture of the Turner vee twin exhibited at Astle Park (I wish I had gone!)

The serial number of this engine is 2V1 4809 349 - so I guess this is a

1949 engine.

Many thanks for all your help.

Ivan

Reply to
clap trap

My brother-in-law has one (my father in law has about 20-odd assorted tractors). The Yeoman starts pretty easily too - much easier to crank over than a Field Marshal.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have a brass plate 3&1/2" x 1&7/8", bearing the legend: "Manufactured by TURNER MANUFACTURING Co. Wifruna Works Lever Street WOLVERHAMPTON ENGLAND". Has a 1/8" screw hole at each corner.If anyone can use it let me know.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Rob

Was it Turners who produced the first diesels to be fitted into a Land Rover? If my memory serves me correctly, according to a 1950's book on Automotive diesels that I still have but can't find, it was a two stroke twin cylinder. Anyone offer further?

Reply to
Bob Spowart

I had one. 2 litre I think. Can't remember if it was two or four stroke but definitely supercharged. You couldn't put your pint pot on the front wing though on tickover, it would have jumped off.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

They did do a 2-stroke diesel which was fitted to land rovers (or so I have read somewhere). More than that I know not.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

TURNER MANUFACTURING Co. Wifruna Works Lever Street WOLVERHAMPTON ENGLAND". Has a 1/8" screw hole at each corner.If anyone can use it let me know. Hi Rob,

15vyears late, but do you still have this plate in your possession? I would like to see an image, and possibly even purchase it from you. Kind regards, Liam
Reply to
Liam