Something not right with this ebay item???????

Perhaps if you were more forthcoming on the item # or eBay url, people could offer opinions instead of wasting time stumbling about in search of said item.

Steve

***
Reply to
Steve

I stumbled upon this when searching ebay yesterday and have become somewhat puzzled by this guy. He claims that his Bamford is a genuine 1919 model, despite Bamfords not going into engine production until 1920, and the crankgaurd having the Royal Darlington show silver medal award of 1920, cast in (as all 4 and 5/6hp Bamfords do). It is also stated that the engine is high tension, yet Bamfords did not introduce high tension mags until a 3 year run of Hills Bros flick mags were used alongside the more common Websters in 1923. I have sent an email advising him this, but he still claims it to be of 1919 vinatge. He also refuses to give any engine numbers out, which may well be for genuine reasons, but does seem somewhat suspicious to me. Finally when asked to show some better pictures of the Magneto side of the engine, he simply refuses saying that you should be able to see it from the back. Yet from this it is impossible to tell what is missing regarding the governor assembly, trip mechanism and the carburettor.

What do others think?

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

A search on Bamford 1919 only brings one up.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Yep that would be helpful. Apologies everyone, I simply forgot to put the link on. Here it is anyway.

Sorry to anybody who I sent on a wild goose chase around the maze that can be ebay.

Reply to
miley_bob

I have seen this guy a few times on ebay, he seems to buy engines and then sell them again at no real profit. I seemed to recognise this engine from the ebay past so a look through his feedback found this

Also anyone come across another of his so called rare engines, a 1 3/4 hp Amanco hired man, looks like a Chore Boy to me. -
Paul.

Reply to
Paul Swindell

I thought that migh have being the same bamford. The damaged crank gaurd was what put me on the trail. I just didnt have the time to trawl through his feedback history on an off chance. I remember laughing at his apparant b******s explanation of it being a rare hired man as well.

He seems to be one of those who seems to think that all of his engines are rare and therefore more valuable.

After looking at the previous photo of the engine, it is not even from 1923, as the spark plug screws straight into the block, as opposed to a plate which was the case with the Hills Bros magnetos. This engine would appear to have being fitted with a Wico EK and is therefore of 1926 vintage at the very oldest. But with a number of 21989, it is most likely mid 1930's.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

It appears to have been withdrawn in the last hour or so.

Either somebody has bought it, or he's given up trying to sell it

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

He might, of course, be reading the comments here & it's scared him off continuing with the "1919" line. Once anyone has connected the earlier sale and his engine, the datable serial number becomes available & the bar of doubt raised that bit higher.

Just supposition, of course ..............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought, maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Reply to
campingstoveman