Can anyone identify this Ebay item?

Obviously sought after (or sort after as they say on Ebay :-) ), this item has very much got a Petter Handyman look about it.

Can anyone provide more detail? Marketing tool or one-off modelling project?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

very much got a Petter Handyman look

Interesting snapshot of an auction that perhaps asks more questions than it answers.

One bidder put on nearly £240 in three bids yet didn't win the item, the other two bidders of note put on £200 or so between them, but even with those sort of price jumps, none of those guys won the item, and the winning bidder has come from nowhere and snatched the win.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

That looks very much like a Carette as it has features that are not disimilar with my Carette. I dont think it was a steam engine originally as it appears to have a water jacket with the inlet and outlet plugged off.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

But unlike many current engine-related items this one seems kosher. All the bidders have a track record of buying this sort of thing and other mod-eng related stuff. The auction was viewed over 600 times. I know that 3 of this group were watching it and I'd bet it was a lot more. Petter S type paperweights is possibly another matter ......... ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I'd guess one-off modelling project, the resemblance to a Petter handyman is surely too close to be accidental. It would be interesting to know for sure whether it is built as a hot fog or IC, can't see from the pics whether that valve lever is operated from cam on crankshaft or whether there is a half-time shaft.

Reply to
Nick H

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton wrote: "item has very much got a Petter Handyman look about it."

Arthur -- definitely not of Petter origin, but no doubt very similar indeed to a mid 1900's Handyman, even down to the rocker arm.

Balanced crank seems later. Early small Handymen had a bit of bent bar as a crank. I suspect it was a kit or working model sold in the '20's, but I have no proof. Does not appear in any ads in the Model Engineer throughout the 20's.

Funny -- I've always considered the Handyman as the clearest example of evolutionary bridging from horizontal steam through to more complex IC horizontal.

Easy to see how the Handyman could easily have been built for steam, & then had a hot bulb head as a derivative. (I know it wasn't, so no need to send mails galore putting me right!)

Seems as 'tho this model does it in reverse date order .......... Pretty 'tho.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton wrote: "item has very much got a Petter Handyman look about it."

Arthur -- definitely (??) not of Petter origin, but no doubt very similar indeed to a mid 1900's Handyman.

Balanced crank seems later. Early small Handymen had a bit of bent bar as a crank. I suspect it was a kit or working model sold in the '20's, but I have no proof. Does not appear in any ads in the Model Engineer throughout the 20's.

Funny -- I've always considered the Handyman as the clearest example of bridging from horizontal steam through to more complex IC horizontal.