Can you identify this font?

I'm trying to get a pattern to etch some L&NWR number plates, but can't find the font I need for the numerals. Has anyone got a TT font that I can use, point me to one I can download, or supply the name of it please? A GIF containing a sample is shown here...

lemel_man

(This is the 2nd posting, the 1st one didn't turn up)

I'm trying to get a pattern to etch some L&NWR number plates, but can't find the font I need for the numerals. Has anyone got a TT font that I can use, point me to one I can download, or supply the name of it please? A GIF containing a sample is shown here...

lemel_man

I'm trying to get a pattern to etch some L&NWR number plates, but can't find the font I need for the numerals. Has anyone got a TT font that I can use, point me to one I can download, or supply the name of it please? A GIF containing a sample is shown here...

Gary Wooding

Sorry, that was the wrong link. Here's the correct one...

Gary Wooding

Hi Gary,

Have you tried the L&NWR Society. They seem to use this font for their magazine.

Regards

James

Reply to
JamesC

I've cross posted this to where people might know the answer, as opposed to where people might want to know the answer ;-)

We're looking for the typeface of the numbers (1173), not the captions (crewe works)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Maybe

can help. I have done some searching, mainly for Victorian type fonts but there are trillions. Have people nothing better to do than design fonts? Now back to generating more swarf.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Try whatthefont.com.

HTH.

Drew

Reply to
Drew

SD - I'd already tried that for the OP.

It didn't :(

- Character

Reply to
Character

It's very difficult to identify a font from only numeric characters, but I tried. I went to Bowfin Printworks at and used the serif font identifier, looking only at fonts with ball-type serifs. In most cases, numerals did not have serifs at all. In a few cases where there was a flat-top 3, the 7 was not even close to matching your example. Where the 7 was similar to your example, the 3 usually had a rounded top.

I could not match your numerals exactly. However, I found two that were roughtly similar (very roughtly):

Prospero at

Walbaum at

Reply to
David E. Ross

Many thanks for all the effort you and others have put in helping me. I tried the links you supplied, but could make no progress beyond the first page - the one that says "Serif Font Identification Guide". I Googled and found Prospero and Walbaum, and agree that they are sort-of close, but eventually decided that "Modern No. 20" was closer to the correct "feel", despite having a round-top 3. I used CorelDraw to modify the numerals that I needed and have settled for that as being the closest I'm likely to get - roundtop and all. Here's what I ended up with

negative 'cos its to be used as a mask.

Reply to
Gary Wooding

I'd lay odds that the font was a product of the drawing room and pattern shop of the railway it was used on, rather than a stock item from a printers supply house.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

This is not a font, this is a crime.