Can you identify this lock

Hi list,

Can you help me identify this lock? Please - no flames for the silly drawing ;P

Many thanks

Reply to
Curious

yes, but there might be better models of it...its an ACE

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I don't know if this is much help, but I have worked on these locks a couple of times. It is not an Chicago Ace. I can't remember the name. The key has an Phillips screw in the end. If you remove the screw, you can change the pins in the key to different locations to rekey the key to match the pins in the lock that you have moved to different locations to rekey the lock. I hope I said that correct. I will keep looking for a key in my shop as I think it has the brand name on it.

Thanks,

Ed Jasper

Reply to
Ed Jasper

It appears to be a 7 pin center offset tubular lock. There are however a number of varieties of tubular locks some with subtle differences. The drawing isn't precise enough to say with certainty which it is.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Your web page says that you will be using this in a public area. I've noticed more locks on the vending machines around here. The ACE type lock should be sufficient for an area where the vending machine is in a populated area.

The machine is vulnerable if it sits out overnight. In that case, other measures might be called for. Around here I see a lot of heavy duty hasps and shrouded padlocks. There are usually more than one type of lock, probably so that the same technique can't be used on both locks.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Looks like a Van Lock.

Matthew

Dave Wallen

its NOT an ACE lock.

there is a few companies making these- VAN being one of them.

The key is attached to the lock until it is relocked- no way of pulling it off- as it is locked to the outer most ring of the lock face.

Found on many pop machines & now being used on CABLE televison outdoor boxes, on multi-family units.

The key has little pins that push the locking pins below the face to the correct depth to allow rotation- the pins also are what turns the plug- compared to the ACE style that has a keyed center pin that is actually turned. The key is also "keyed" to only insert one way.

Saw some of these on e-bay a few weeks ago- watched them as they sold for some "good" money. Iam sure the winning bidder got them to study them.

Only included one key and serveral locks- with the key only working in 1 or 2 of the included locks.

Not easy to get these keys- factory supplied.

Good luck

Reply to
JOCK tec

by the way- its a great pic of it.

Reply to
JOCK tec

bingo !! I think Daves got it :-)

Reply to
"Key

I believe you are looking for a Chicago "ACE" lock see the following site:

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

Jock Tec, Ed, Dave, Daniel, Matthew et al.

Thanks for your help on this. From another forum the reason that the standard ACE tubular lock is becoming less common is because more and more people are obtaining tubular picks. I wanted to change from the ACE as I had picked that myself (and thanks to the list for the help with the T-Handle!) and knew how easily the one I have on the machine currently could be bypassed.

I can't help but think that these locks must be just as easy to manipulate - which would defeat the idea of changing to them. I realise the advantages of a flat face (no pulling etc) but if it is left out overnight, and the toads that wander around here have a few hours to mess around with it...

Caught between knowing that these things must be secure due to their prevalence and completely failing to see how they are secure ....

Cheers anyway - you guys came through again!

Reply to
Curious

AFAIK there is a pick available for the Van type as well, although it probably isn't as commonly available. Pickmasters made one at one time.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I looked over their site and couldn't find one ... do you know the name of the pick or a reference I can search for.

Or ... If you're feeling really energetic a link ;)

Thanks again putyourspamhere

Reply to
Curious

Yeah I looked on pickmasters site and could not find it either but they have become a very gimmick oriented company with "gold" picks and "fiber" picks, etc and discontinued alot of what they sold for years.

The only picking reference I could quickly find is here:

Note the photo in the manual. I don't have that manual so I can't say with any certainty how good the information in it is. If you are especially concerned about it it might be worth the $27 to read up on the technique.

I have also heard these locks refered to as "open face or faced tubular" although I must admit I didn't imediately recognize it from what in retrospect turned out to be a rather good likeness of it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Oh yeah you might have to scroll down to advanced tubular picking on the page that's linked to.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere