Can you identify this coolant?

Today i was given a 20liter unopened drum of what the owner believed is cutting tool coolant. He says it's water soluable.

My problem is, (and out of interest sake), is since the drum labeling is mainly in Japanese characters with the only Engllish being the makers name (Noritaki), the letters CBN and SA-02. My research says Noritaki are a leading Japanese ceramics maker. CBN probably refers to cubic boron nitride. No idea what SA-02 means.

Bottom line, this stuff is more likely coolant for CBN grinding systems with those expensive grinding wheels that run at 12,000 rpm. Machines for making engine crankshafts etc.

Anyone recognise the codes and can i use it in normal lathe/milling hobby operations or am i sitting on a 20litre drum of waste?

Reply to
Pete

Yes, Noritake is the same Japanese company that makes fine china and VFD displays, as well as grinding wheels.

Here is a document in which the authors use Noritake SA-02 "soluble coolant SA-02 (1:60)" for grinding.

Noritake recommend it for their V35 vitrified grinding stones (top one on this page)

B grinding example Grinding stone SN80L7V35S 305x30x127 Dresser L l single stone dresser Grinding oil The Noritake coolSA - 02 Peripheral wheel speed 45m/s (peripheral velocity ratio: 1/100) Grinding efficiency 5 2mm3/mm ? s The dress ardently the ? quantity f 20 µ m/pass Dress lead/read 0. 1 mm/r.o.w

I only see this coolant on their English web pages:

A few others on this Chinese language data sheet, but no SA-02

Article on CBN grinding:

Here's an e-mail address: snipped-for-privacy@n.noritake.co.jp

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks for the prompt answer. I Googled for an hour and found nothing. My questions now is as a hobbyist 'turner', is this coolant totally useless in a tool cutting situation as opposed to the conditions of grinding. It would be such a waste to crack a sealed drum only to find i need to dump the stuff.

The other problem is that in all honesty i probably now have such a huge quantity (i could alone take a bath in it!....not that i ever would) there is enough to last more than two lifetimes.

Reply to
Pete