Can you identify this engine?

See

Australian friend is trying to identify this marine engine. He thinks it is a Villiers but it doesn't look much like one to me. Unless its a modified WX11 see
best site I know for Villiers doesn't mention any watercooled engines. See

Dave Croft

Dave,

--

Reply to
campingstoveman

a modified WX11

Looks like a Bitza, the crankcase could be from a Villiers m/cycle engine.

The rest seems to be a load of bits made up to fit.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

a modified WX11

I think the Villiers tank is a red herring. It looks more like a Bollinder to me, but not quite like any i've seen.

Reply to
Chris Newport

its a modified WX11

Are we all looking at the right picture ?? :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Snip

The picture of the unknown engine is

Villiers marine underneath it.

Reply to
Dave Croft

nothing above it as suggested by Dave.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

What Villiers marine, I can only see an engine?

Reply to
campingstoveman

I see a picture of an engine mounted on wooden bearers. Above the engine is a red fuel tank with a Villiers transfer. The engine looks a bit like a small Bollinder (maybe).

Sounds like some folks have a browser problem.

Reply to
Chris Newport

gentlemen,

I appear to have left a wooden spo>>

Reply to
campingstoveman

Except that the picture is identified as Villier Marine, I am assumeing the blue one with the red tank above is the Villiers. There are no other engines in the picture.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

That's what I saw, and why I queried what everyone else was looking at.

The EIC Mag size means that it is really a small engine, nothing that diddy was made by Bolinders, and as far as I remember, they only made oil engines?

The top of the cylinder looks a bit Evinrude, but I still think it is a Bitza of some kind :-))

A small two-cylinder Bolinder is at:

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Who made Bitza engines, that's a name I can't find in my books.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Good point, it is a lot smaller than I first thought. Probably only 1 or 2 HP Too small to be main propulsion for anything bigger than a small river launch or perhaps it is an auxilliary, maybe driving a generator. Maybe some of the canal guys in uk.rec.waterways might recognise it. I still think that the Villiers label on the tank is a complete red herring.

Reply to
Chris Newport

It must be tiny, it looks quite small even with the water jacket round it. Looks like a Villiers crankcase, but what do I know about boat engines, I've got a magneto like that though.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

If you discount the Villiers fuel tank, it could well be an engine that you in the northern hemisphere have never seen. To me it looks like a CLAE that were used in the hire launches in my youth.

Reply to
^**^

Maybe it was originally a Villiers. There were many small engineering companies making a living from marinizing assorted engines and a Villiers would have been a good candidate due to their excellent spares availability. Maybe someone has soldered a copper or brass water jacket around a stock air cooled cylinder.

Reply to
Chris Newport