Can anyone identify this Wagon?

Hi. i am biulding a model of Luton Midland station in the 1960's and have several photos.

Onei have posted on my yahoo webb site is causing me a problem as i cannot identify what the van is

it had large Coach wheels ( the Pullman Style) and was painted a dark red

anyone any ideas?

Reply to
IOOA

"IOOA" wrote

Looks like an ex-LNER van to me, if it was XP rated then it *might* have been a fish or a meat van.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But it is unfitted. XP rated would have had a continuous brake pipe. Meat van would have had louvres somewhere on side or end. Looks like an ordinary LNER 12T van from the 1920's or early 30's (see pages 33 & 34 of Tatlow's book), but why the large wheels? Are you certain about the wheels? Can't see anything of them in the web pic.

Reply to
John Shelley

"John Shelley" wrote

I'm confused about *was painted a dark red* - does the OP mean the wheels or the van? I assumed the latter which made me wonder about its possible use.

However, looking at the picture, the van looks to be in grey livery, and although I can't read any of the inscriptions, it has the *feel* of one in departmental service.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'd agree about the departmental use, probably also condemmed judging by the big white X. The only dark red livery that I can recall is that used on some airbraked stock, which this obviously isn't.

Just had a thought and looked at the Bradford Barton book on departmental rolling stock and that contains a photo (P47) of a van used as a stores van with a ballast cleaner and the livery is described as red. A quick look through the Chenoa series doesn't help.

I'm still worried about the wheels though.

Reply to
John Shelley

"John Shelley" wrote

There were some vacuum braked meat vans which were painted in BR coaching stock maroon.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ahh, I'd forgotten about them, and the Airfix kit, but they had a row of hood vents from roof to bufferbeam between the stanchirons didn't they, so unlikely to be one of them.

Reply to
John Shelley

In article , IOOA writes

I'm currently building the Parkside kit of ex LNER 12T goods van (Diag

94) - it looks very similar ???

Chris

Reply to
Chris Moorhouse

It's a bog standard early LNER ventilated freight van; timber underframed it would appear.

If the wheelbase is 10', then it's from Diagram 94, (some of which were plated "FISH".

If the wheelbase is 9', then it's a Diagram 14 or 16 van.

The photo is none too clear, especially in the diagnostic area of the brakegear, but I can see no evidence of vacuum fittings on the headstock. If it never was vacuum braked, then Diagram 14 seems the most likely.

What is certain is that the wheels are *extremely* unlikely to have been large NPCS diameter. Fitted in standard wagon suspension arrangements they would have raised the entire vehicle to an unacceptable degree.

John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk