Bamford EG1 Restoration

Eventually managed to find the time to start the restoration of my
rusty old Bamford EG1.
As I was stripping off many years of "crud" and old flaky paint I
noticed that the casting had been filled with some sort of filler,
dark in colour.
This presumably was done during manufacture of engine castings.
There is now quite a large step in the casting where the filler has
fallen out, and now shows quite a large casting defect.
Before I just cover it in P38! I was wondering if there is a correct
material to fill the holes with, or would P38 filler work OK?
Bruce
Reply to
Bruce
Clean, clean clean that surface - chisel out any bits that are insecure, then build up layers of really good quality body filler. The better stuff will not object to getting hot & clod but cheap stuff may crack & drop off.
If you are an authenticity nut, set to with cellulose filler. ;o))
Reply to
kimsiddorn
Calcium Plumbate primer would have been far more likely though now unobtainable
IMHO
Reply to
Roland Craven
try here they claim to stock Calcium Plumbate primer
The Paint Centre 27 Southcote Road Bournemouth BH1 3SH, UK.
Email: snipped-for-privacy@technicalpaintservices.com Phone: 0845 230 1244
Reply to
<gummymonkey
Many thanks for the replies. Didn't want to ruin the paint work by having bits of filler falling out first time it got hot!!!
Reply to
Bruce
Try the metal loaded type. Sticks like sh1t to a blanket if the substrate is clean. Bl**dy hard to rub down though.
Reply to
1501