accuracy?

I have now managed to complete my set of dave gingery books on building you own machine tools ( i now have all seven)

a was wondering how accurate should the castings need to be made, he says you should try to make them as best you can now if say for instance the lathe was maybe not quite as accurately made as his(i am thinking about if I ever do any thread cutting) how well done will the threads end up , does any inaccuracies in the producion of the machines show up in the workpiece or do they in effect cancel each other out and end up not to bad:?

Many thanks in advance for your ideas on this

George

Reply to
George Watson

The castings only need to be made to "woodworking" tolerances because you will be filing, scraping and machining those parts which need to be flat or straight or to mate with other parts.

There is, of course, the gotcha that it's hard to file an under-size casting bigger and filing/scraping off 4x18x1/2" of material because you made it bigger than you wanted will get old very fast!

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand