Are these stepper motors ok for 'CNC' mod?

I've rescued a couple of gigantic Superior Electric steppers type M112-FF-401 rated at 950oz/in, (200steps per turn) with their PDM155 Modulynx drivers. I've Googled hi and low and found that they are well obsolete items. The were working perfectly in the robotics machines they came from.

My thoughts are whether they are worth being put to work to drive my wee TongYang ZAY7032G (HR 42827) mill drill in a sort of CNC project (like everyone else has already done).

As i'm an electronics man i'll need to sort out how to 'talk' to the PDM155s but if the steppers are BIG and heavy.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hi Pete, what is the currrent and voltage rating on these? If they are about as big as I think they are, they still will just barely be able to move the stock table at a semi-resonable speed. My understanding is that servo's are the way to go.... though I'd be happy to be corrected and watching this thread in interest!

mark

Pete wrote:

Reply to
mark

You thinking of driving the spindle with them? ;-)

Downsides:- big and heavy, will they fit?

Upsides:- Free, no need to buy ballscrews, no need for gearing.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Further data from the motor label:

1.95V 4.0A 200 steps per rev Hold @ 950oz/in

They are 7.5" long with a 4" body diameter an appx 4.25" square mount face.

Weight is a wopping 18lbs !!!

That weight has me wondering about how and where i can mount them. Can't see the trick of hanging them from the bed as being a good idea.

My plan is to see if i can run them up with the motor controller and see just how fast they can go. I remember well that they were very quick in the robot machines they came from and they moved a huge load to boot.

Reply to
Pete