Coventry-Victor restoration

Following a couple of E-bay purchases, I thought I'd get on with an easy
one, partly because it was sitting on the floor of the workshop and rather
in the way and partly because I fancy running my mass driver with a neat
MA2 flat twin.
The poor thing was a real mess cosmetically, but quite sound mechanically
upon closer investigation. Really, it was just a matter of wire brushing off
the three or more layers of crappy paint - splodge brown, late British Army
field green and bright yellow rig paint. Arrrgh ..... It took an evening and
was not too arduous or messy.
These C-V flat twins are cowled, unlike their Norman T300 competition. There
was no cowling with this one and I'm going to try it without as the engine
will be running light most of the time and the stubby fan blades produce
quite a blast. I have another original C-V MA2 engine that I exhibited on
several occasions last year and if I run it all day, the crankcase is barely
warm. It is obviously overcooled for light duties and it's lighter without,
to say nothing of the fact that I think the little air-cooled engine looks
better in its naked state.
As the mass driver is already satin black, I decided I'd refinish the C-V in
that colour and found a tin of aerosol Hammerite smooth satin black at B&Q.
The one tin was more than sufficient to do the engine and this finish has
the advantage of not being petrol soluble. Odd bits and pieces I resprayed
with car cellulose, several coats over grey primer. Where there was brass, I
satin polished it and just cleaned the carburettor internally and
externally, leaving it bare zinc as its God intended.
Cosmetically, the paint will have cost no more than a tenner and as I am
aiming at a clean-but-not-conkers finish, it will more than suffice.
Thus heartened, I now turn to making a frame on which to mount both engine
and mass driver. I've decided to use some 3" channel section aluminium which
are rather narrow for trailer ramps, but ideal for this enterprise, being
light, strong, clean and big enough to raise the engine off the ground. The
flywheel fan blades are larger in radius than the crankshaft centreline to
crankcase base measurement, so I'll need to look at that first.
That's it so far. If you should be interested, you can look at the
before-and-after pictures at

Most are on page five, but some on page four.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
mechanically
brushing off
British Army
competition. There
exhibited on
aluminium which
ground. The
centreline to
Kim, What did you mean by the statement..."Where there was brass, I satin polished it...." please?
Regards, Ian.
Reply to
Ian
Satin polishing brass? Wire brushed it with a soft brass-bristled cup brush. It removes the paint and leaves the metal bare but not garishly bright - like this picture ...
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
If you think no one cares, try stopping a Direct Debit!
Reply to
Kim Siddorn