Realism Obsession BAD!

I bet I had more fun with my c.1950 AF 290 passenger set with smoke, choo-choo and air-chime whistle than the majority of rivet counters on this group have ever had.

You wanna play trains then go and actually risk a finger or a hand, eh, otherwise shut up about "realism." The train races my buddy and me did with his Lionels and my AFs were extremely joyful, but not very realistic. No "underbody details" and the trains would occasionally careen off of the tracks. So what.

If you wannabe a historian that's okay with me, mainly because it serves a genuinely useful and valuable function. But don't tell me that "reproducing realistic railroad operations" on your toy train setup, no matter how gigantical or "realistic" it is, is anything more or less than being a real railroader without the risk. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...

Tejas Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

Well, well, well, what do we have here.....A troll !?....Are you aware that active participants in this here group carry 6-inch fangs ??.....F R E S H M E A T ! ! ! ! !

Alan

Reply to
Alan Gilchrist

Not hardly, buddy. Been on usenet for dang near ten years. Just a little toy train backlash on my part. I fly R/C with a former MP/UP brakeman who turned me on to railroading reality. I have a small collection of tiny train stuff for when I get too feebed out for airplanes and I hugely respect the modeling ability of many of you train folks but y'all can't even begin to make me nervous.

Tejas Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

Ah but Mark NMewton knows where you live... be afraid be very afraid LOL

Beowulf

Reply to
BEOWULF

My activity on usenet pertaining to this group goes back as far as jan. 1997, but I suspect even farther back, Google only shows so much....

Model building was a big part of my family, my dad was into control line for years while my brother built model cars.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Gilchrist

Ever stop to think that rivet counters ARE having fun?

Have fun. Reminds me of my Tyco racing car sets. Or my US-1 Trucking sets I had when I was a kid. Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. It appears to be a slam against model railroad operators. I don't know why, but it does go to prove my theory that rivet counters and realistic operators get a lot more crap from the toy train crowd than the other way around. If you don't want to operate realistically, fine. But why the hositility towards those that do? I don't get it.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

I've been mainly lurking in rmr since about Y2K. My dad showed me how to build balsa wood airplanes back in the early fifties after which I took to it but he didn't really participate anymore after I got the hang of making 'em fly.

I think what set me off was the MR editor's comments re - sound in the November issue. I was in a short-lived train shop in Corpus Christi and the guy was showin' off an HO BLI articulated. The weenie little sounds were at best cute, very reminiscent of the choo-choo on my AF 290, but not the slightest bit convincing to anyone who's stood next to a big steamer as it started a heavy train. The ground didn't shake, if you get my drift. IMO the real future of sound in model railroading will be in a high-powered surround sound system that is built into the train room.

Tejas Pedro

ps - I appreciate your good-natured handling of my mini-rant.

Reply to
Random Excess

See my second reply to Alan for a partial explanation of what set me off. Also, I admit I was trying to stir the stew.

BTW, I have absolutely no problem with anyone enjoying his or her hobby in whatever way they choose and, like I said, I have nothing but tremendous respect for the incredibly high level of modeling that some of you are able to achieve.

I guess you could call me a "representational" modeler, because I'm the same way with the airplanes as I am with rail car underbody details. Never have understood why someone would put thousands of hours into reproducing every minute detail of a full-scale warbird because when it's fifty feet up and fifty feet out goin' fifty-plus mph you can't see any of 'em, just like the details on the underside of trains when they're being run. And with an airplane there's always the risk of total destruction.

Tejas Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

Random Excess skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I tyhink that Representative modeller is a good expression as well as accurate, a model is just that..... a model . Nit pickers leave me cold, because although they may know their onions they dont seem to have a grip on reality. no ho/oo/n scale model will be accurate as they will ALL have innacuracies due to their not being 12" to the foot models, and even then they may not be accurate ! Beowulf

Reply to
BEOWULF

Reply to
Jon Miller

Reply to
Jon Miller

Some of the finest modeling I've ever seen was at New York City's Museum of Natural History in the Hall of Oil Geology. Dunno if that's still there, I've been gone from that town thirty years now (thank goodness).

The deal was that there were diorama displays of enormous rail yards filled with rail cars, realistic-seeming until you pressed your nose against the glass and you could see that the rail cars were represented by tiny blocks of wood painted different colors with the most important details inked in by pen as were the tracks.

Tejas (formerly NY) Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

Random Excess skriver:

Guess not.

Let me guess that 6000 visting people per year wants to see more tan toys.....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Try showing them little trains going around in circles much too fast the next time and you'll easily double the number of visitors that you claim, but that's just life.

AGAIN... don't get me wrong. Everyone can and should enjoy whatever their hobby happens to be in whichever way they choose. Have yourself a ball, amigo.

Tejas Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

If you like big sound then surround sound may be the way to go but, it will be a novelty and not really something that fits the models you are looking. To put things into perspective imagine you are standing next to a Big Boy -- a real one that is fired up and ready to go. Now, make your self five hundred feet tall and your weight about one hundred fifteen million pounds. Under these conditions it's possible that when that Big Boy starts up you might find the sound and feel a bit puny. Size is the physical limitation in models but when put into the proper perspective sound, at the right volume with proper quality and synchronization, can be an adjunct to operating experience. Sound that doesn't properly fit your operating situation can be a total distraction.

J. Bright

Reply to
Jim Bright

Random Excess skriver:

No I will not. That they can see at home, by us the come to get an experiance.

Perhaps in the US....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

I'm interested in knowing why only the "Soundraxx Tsunami" would sound so much better once it's hooked up to a *real* system.

I'm a part-time musician, done plenty shows with 30K watts and up.

1K is small potatoes compared to what we use, dig it.

But mainly I'd like to know why a "Soundtraxx Tsunami" would sound any better than any of all the other brands of choo choo noisemakers once they's hooked up to a *real* sound system.

Eh?

Tejas Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

I don't guess I'll be gettin' many girls after I try that stuff, whew, Good God A Mighty!

TP

Reply to
Random Excess

Tejas Pedro