Realism Obsession BAD!

I bet I had more fun with my c.1950 AF 290 passenger set with smoke, choo-choo and air-chime whistle than the majority of rivet counters on
this group have ever had.
You wanna play trains then go and actually risk a finger or a hand, eh, otherwise shut up about "realism." The train races my buddy and me did with his Lionels and my AFs were extremely joyful, but not very realistic. No "underbody details" and the trains would occasionally careen off of the tracks. So what.
If you wannabe a historian that's okay with me, mainly because it serves a genuinely useful and valuable function. But don't tell me that "reproducing realistic railroad operations" on your toy train setup, no matter how gigantical or "realistic" it is, is anything more or less than being a real railroader without the risk. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...
Tejas Pedro
Random Excess wrote:

Well, well, well, what do we have here.....A troll !?....Are you aware that active participants in this here group carry 6-inch fangs ??.....F R E S H M E A T ! ! ! ! !
Alan
/ \
On 11 Oct 2006 14:09:49 -0700, "Alan Gilchrist"

Not hardly, buddy. Been on usenet for dang near ten years. Just a little toy train backlash on my part. I fly R/C with a former MP/UP brakeman who turned me on to railroading reality. I have a small collection of tiny train stuff for when I get too feebed out for airplanes and I hugely respect the modeling ability of many of you train folks but y'all can't even begin to make me nervous.
Tejas Pedro

Ah but Mark NMewton knows where you live... be afraid be very afraid LOL
Beowulf
Random Excess wrote:

My activity on usenet pertaining to this group goes back as far as jan. 1997, but I suspect even farther back, Google only shows so much....
Model building was a big part of my family, my dad was into control line for years while my brother built model cars.
Alan
/ \
On 11 Oct 2006 18:56:29 -0700, "Alan Gilchrist"

I've been mainly lurking in rmr since about Y2K. My dad showed me how to build balsa wood airplanes back in the early fifties after which I took to it but he didn't really participate anymore after I got the hang of making 'em fly.
I think what set me off was the MR editor's comments re - sound in the November issue. I was in a short-lived train shop in Corpus Christi and the guy was showin' off an HO BLI articulated. The weenie little sounds were at best cute, very reminiscent of the choo-choo on my AF 290, but not the slightest bit convincing to anyone who's stood next to a big steamer as it started a heavy train. The ground didn't shake, if you get my drift. IMO the real future of sound in model railroading will be in a high-powered surround sound system that is built into the train room.
Tejas Pedro
ps - I appreciate your good-natured handling of my mini-rant.

Actually this is currently possible if anyone wanted to do it. The Soundtraxx Tsunami produces sound that is vastly supior to any of the onboard speakers it is attached to. All one has to do is attach it to your 1KW home stereo system and you could truly rattly the wall and the sound would be good.

I'm interested in knowing why only the "Soundraxx Tsunami" would sound so much better once it's hooked up to a *real* system.
I'm a part-time musician, done plenty shows with 30K watts and up. 1K is small potatoes compared to what we use, dig it.
But mainly I'd like to know why a "Soundtraxx Tsunami" would sound any better than any of all the other brands of choo choo noisemakers once they's hooked up to a *real* sound system.
Eh?
Tejas Pedro

16-bit Audio Processing vs 8 bit for all the others. Has a Multi-Band Equalizer which as far as I know none of the others have. While it's probably not as good as CDs, etc. it's the best available from the product line of DCC sound.

Thank you for your response. Multi-band eq is enroute on the right track.
Tejas Pedro
"Random Excess"

Hear, hear. These "amateurs" don't know what _real_ sound really sounds like. :-)
-- Cheers
Roger T. Theatre Technical Director.
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:53:44 -0700, "Roger T."

Yeah, I can tell from your job description that you know what's up, however the best productions I ever saw, back when I lived in n NYC, were completely acoustic and the actors/musicians took care of business. Just my opinion, eh. Reproduce that acousticness and yer on the right track.
Tejas Pedro
Roger T. wrote:

And most of them can't hear what real sound sounds like, they went deef from playing it too loud !!. :-)
Alan
/
\

You seem quite normal to me. <G>
Tejas Pedro

If you like big sound then surround sound may be the way to go but, it will be a novelty and not really something that fits the models you are looking. To put things into perspective imagine you are standing next to a Big Boy -- a real one that is fired up and ready to go. Now, make your self five hundred feet tall and your weight about one hundred fifteen million pounds. Under these conditions it's possible that when that Big Boy starts up you might find the sound and feel a bit puny. Size is the physical limitation in models but when put into the proper perspective sound, at the right volume with proper quality and synchronization, can be an adjunct to operating experience. Sound that doesn't properly fit your operating situation can be a total distraction.
J. Bright

I don't guess I'll be gettin' many girls after I try that stuff, whew, Good God A Mighty!
TP
Random Excess wrote:

My dad doesn't fly any more either, too old maybe, but then who knows.

The poor quality, price, and annoyance factor of more than one in the same area is a good reason why I don't plan on having many sound equipped locos if at all.

I suggested this a couple of weeks ago, and what I would like is a stationary sound decoder that can handle multiple speakers in a surrond sound environment.
The external sound decoder should also be capable of reading the assigned loco address of the DCC system network to determine it's speed and direction plus know when and where that loco is on the layout via transponding.
Alan
/
\

Ever stop to think that rivet counters ARE having fun?

Have fun. Reminds me of my Tyco racing car sets. Or my US-1 Trucking sets I had when I was a kid. Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. It appears to be a slam against model railroad operators. I don't know why, but it does go to prove my theory that rivet counters and realistic operators get a lot more crap from the toy train crowd than the other way around. If you don't want to operate realistically, fine. But why the hositility towards those that do? I don't get it.

See my second reply to Alan for a partial explanation of what set me off. Also, I admit I was trying to stir the stew.
BTW, I have absolutely no problem with anyone enjoying his or her hobby in whatever way they choose and, like I said, I have nothing but tremendous respect for the incredibly high level of modeling that some of you are able to achieve.
I guess you could call me a "representational" modeler, because I'm the same way with the airplanes as I am with rail car underbody details. Never have understood why someone would put thousands of hours into reproducing every minute detail of a full-scale warbird because when it's fifty feet up and fifty feet out goin' fifty-plus mph you can't see any of 'em, just like the details on the underside of trains when they're being run. And with an airplane there's always the risk of total destruction.
Tejas Pedro
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I tyhink that Representative modeller is a good expression as well as accurate, a model is just that..... a model . Nit pickers leave me cold, because although they may know their onions they dont seem to have a grip on reality. no ho/oo/n scale model will be accurate as they will ALL have innacuracies due to their not being 12" to the foot models, and even then they may not be accurate ! Beowulf