More fun

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out. How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole damned mess.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, what happened is that you did not know that it was leaking?

Reply to
Ignoramus17284

It was dry during a heavy rain a few months ago. The building has a #$%^&* Pittsburgh flat steel roof that can spring a leak in a heartbeat. The structure is 48 years old, and I was trying to get a new roof before this happened. Only one roofing company responded with a price of over $10,000, and that didn't include cleanup when they were finished. It's a 1200 Sq. ft building with nine foot ceilings. I guess that if I do keep it, I'll have to start at the worst end and work from there. Of course, the worst end has all the electrical equipment.

It would probably be cheaper to get 4, 40' freight containers set there, if I could get the permits. I may not even be able to get a permit to repair the building. That makes two of the four shop buildings unusable now.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

.

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out. How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole damned mess.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building, if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ouch!

Best of luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Insurance ?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

This is where you had the fire, or am I confusing this with another disaster? Sounds pretty awful!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thank you. Now my insurance company wants to drop me because my house is 48 years old, yet they still insure beach front homes that they paid to replace after the last round of hurricanes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Doesn't cover the failed roof, since it isn't part of the house.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don Nichols had the fire.

I unloaded the truck, so I can start shoveling the ruined manuals into it to take to the landfill.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hire a lad who will trade shop space or machining for labor. He can help you fix yours first, then he can fix the other in trade for rent. Win/Win if you have the liability insurance to cover it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What the f*ck happened?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

For me, one rough part about a moment like this, is wondering if I could have done some thing to prevent it. But, by now, there's no choice but to start shovelling. I share your sadness.

.

I unloaded the truck, so I can start shoveling the ruined manuals into it to take to the landfill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The old metal roof failed. All of a sudden there are holes I can put a fist through. I was up there a few years ago and fixed some minor leaks caused by the way it was installed and it didn't look too bad.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It was only insured for $3000, the most could get for a detached residential garage. in this area. I never let anyone in there, because I couldn't afford liability insurance. The area with the worst damage was the electronics section.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Suckage. Condolences on your soggy sillyscope.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, a new leak didn't cause beams to crack. Time to tarp over it and get some interim supports. I used a standard old car bumper jack to raise the roof on a porch I replaced. The steel yard had a couple sticks of 1.5" square tubing which became my lift beams when lowered over the jack column. I've used that technique to lift porches off posts to replace rotted lumber, too. Works a treat.

Alternatively, you can get scaffold jacks on eBay for $25 apiece, delivered. Just don't tell OSHA you're using them. They're safer but they're illegal. Go figure.

Jack 'em up, sister in some steel, and Bob's yer uncle.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 24 Nov 2012

21:17:09 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

What's the possibility of moving a shipping container or two into the building? Okay, what is the Realistic Possibility of doing that?

pyotr

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On 11/24/2012 8:17 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote: ...

30x40 or vice versa or...??? What's clear span iow? I'd think of putting false roof over it w/ enough slope to lay conventional roofing or tin...
Reply to
dpb