More fun

The problem is zoning. The county has a lot of restrictions on what can be built & used. I would also have to dig up and move a lot of underground wiring, as well. I wanted to just add a 40' next to the garage, and found that the drain field was in the way. No building can be closer to the road than the house under current regulations, and I have a 12' x 12' laundry building that was the original pump house. Any major damage, and I won't be allowed to replace it. Four other buildings are too close to the property lines now, but not when they were built. I'd like to replace all the beams & put up new metal, then have it foamed with that UV resistant coating but can't afford it on my pension. I'll have to see if I can path the holes with scrap steel and splice the damaged beams for now. Gunner suggested roll roofing but it isn't legal, because it can't meet hurricane requirements. If the edge comes up, the entire roof can peel off. Oh well, it looks like I have a use for _all_ of those heavy old PC cases that I had saved for sheet steel. The old maxi towers are almost three feet tall. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012

13:35:55 -0500 typed >> Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Dragging them is definitively going to cause problems, yes. I think you'll find the roads last longer (and the containers will be in better shape) if you put them on wheeled trailers and roll them in. B-)

OTOH, with enough trash bags and hydrogen, you could air lift hem in. Yeah, that's the ticket. B-) Hey, you are in Florida, maybe you can borrow the Mickey Mouse balloons?

Maybe someone has war surplus Hind you can use ...

Oh the lack of tail doesn't make him defective, and besides he was a gift.

And he's the one teaching the class.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012

13:37:16 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"and I say to this one go, and he goes, and to the other come and he comes. Just say the word and it will be done."

tschus pyotr

My Dad was on a first name basis with the Generals. They called him "Phil" and he called them "General".

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

They called me and complained. For all the good it did them! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You should see the damage that did when they brought in a doublewide modular a few years ago. The wheels didn't really help, since the county doesn't maintain the road. My dad & I used to take care of it, but when everyone claimed they couldn't even kick in $20 each, we quit. he sold his place next door and left. Now I hear complaints that someone should fix the roads.

Beware of gift cats, with missing parts!!!

He's lying. He's just looking for a gullible girl cat and is too lazy to roam the neighborhood. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012

14:54:16 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

We're both looking for gullible girls. Unfortunately, he attracts the human sort, and I get the feline sort. Something is not right wit hg our techniques. Or mine...

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Where is the dividing line between repair/replace?

In my area you can get a permit to do "renovations" which allows you to tear down everything BUT one corner post and minimum of 10 square feet of wall.

Reply to
Steve W.

Learn to double date. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Around here? It depends on who throws the darts at their 'Rules & regulations chart' and how soon their next party.

Ohio had a Repair/remodel rules. One corner and part of one wall was a repair. Anything more was a remodel.

I am going to try to find some 16' 'Five Vee' panels, and enough 2" *

10" * 12' pressure treated boards enough to do a little over one bay this winter. I also want to use some 1" foam insulation under the roof as it's replaced to stop the condensation problems. That will go over the main work bench, breaker box & parts room. Then I may be able to cover the rest with a tarp. The problem is that the county compares updated sat maps and aerial surveys with current files to look for every thing you do.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012

16:41:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'll ask him about that.

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I had a friend in California that had a 40x40 metal shop and had two containers attached to the side.

They measured the containers themselves - determined the heavy piers and flew them between four piers. They use two wheelers and shop carts in and out of them. One is raw stock and the other is finished. He was in business and shipped both special metal out and machines out. (a crane came and met the transport truck to drop the containers in place. ) As I recall, another was in the parking lot intended to be added some day but was used where it was to store stuff.

The store house one kept the doors on the inside of the shop - so it could be locked up so no one would pilfer it if not with trusted workers. The other had heavy racks built into the walls and upon the floor. Both were insulated all around and sheeted as well with ply. (He would go off and train people using his machines spending weeks from home)

In the shop were massive lathes - a barrel (cannon) lathe and mill pair that was capable to work on cannon mounts. It was once a specialized set of hardware - business long gone from World War II work. He turned the shop around and made other items completely.

Mart> Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Don't be catty, make him share the girls with you!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sounds like he made good use of them.

Those rental warehouses are popular around here. I think shipping containers would be perfect for one, but of course they don't satisfy the idiots in charge. Pour three concrete strips so they can be set back to back, with a narrow work are to run wiring. Replace the swing out doors with roll ups as needed. You could offer storage for half what anyone else charges and still make the same money.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell