Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Explanation follows on the website

The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the level of where I was doing welding.

Ignoramus10998

My folks had an 8kw propane generator installed, I had to dig the trench between the 120 gallon tank which has to have head space hence is often called a 100 and the generator. When full it still won't last but about five days blackout. I know diesel uses less especially at idle but you are stating 20kw generator. How much fuel do you plan on having? Is the object to fill in for rolling blackouts of a few hours due to uncertainty of the future legislation of electric generation and the lack of risk takers to build plants or is the object to protect the contents of a freezer full of food after a hurricane or like event? Is there a like ordinance against outside propane tanks? I know propane is a racket, the second fill may well cost two and a half times the first.

I suppose you are going to paint it yellow for diesel. you can use oxygen or argon fittings on those pipes for the lines coming out and a short hose plugged when taking it to the fuel depot. That must be a newer version jerry can mine have an approximate three inch opening with a spin off plug on a chain.

I hope you aren't looking for compliments from aircraft grade welders about those beads. Was this a clean off the paint first or after? or a little of both?

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

At present, I have approximately nine full jerry cans of diesel.

I will just use barb fittings.

A little bit of both, I hope that those welders do not notice. :)

In my defense though, there is fusion and wetting all around, it seems.

Ignoramus10200

With an algaecide in the diesel right?

That's the biggest advantage of propane IMO. It stores well.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I believe so. It's been a while and I may be wrong by now. I bought one more can of algaecide and will put it in every one again.

The issue with algae is that it appears when there is water in fuel. I do not believe that there is much in the fuel that I have.

So does diesel fuel.

The generator can run about 5-8 hours on one jerry can. I will simply refill the tank as necessary.

I did, at some point, buy a bigger tank, but I changed my mind about using it due to fuel management and environmental concerns.

Ignoramus10200

That will last you around 36 hours or so, presuming like most houses your base load has the generator at idle and only slightly of idle for heat/oven/etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

Put a 55 gal poly (no rust) drum inside one of the 65 gal overpack drums and you'll have a nice safe fuel tank with full secondary containment.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sounds about right. On the other hand, it does not need to run continuously. In a terrible emergency, I would ration fuel, in a small emergency, I would just buy more fuel when I run low.

Ignoramus10200

I think...that brazing may have been a better choice for those tubes.

Or TIG.

Shrug

As long as it works.

Shrug again.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Well, that was TIG.

Ignoramus10200

Oh...ahum. Sorry.

Try brazing next time..with your Tig torch.

Works amazingly well.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I will definitely try that, yes. I have a bunch of silicon bronze.

Ignoramus10200

Nice job Iggy, but a question-

Since you have multiple jerry cans why modify one can to accept the fuel lines instead of making a fitting for the lines that would fit into the spout opening ? That way you could simply move the lines from an empty can to a full one. For the few seconds it would take to move over you wouldn't get enough air into the system to losse prime in the pump. I've seem military geenys that used this setup & I've done similar for for gas fired gensets.

Enquiring Minds Want To Know

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I have many different kinds of gas cans. It would not work.

I had a 100 gallon tank, also, but sold it.

Ignoramus10200

Or why not simply make a "gas cap" that can be transfered from tank to tank..the cap of course containing all the lines?

All it would need is a plain shank and perhaps an O-ring at the most.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

1) I have all different jerry cans, most are steel ex-military 2) I had this setup with a cap and lines (can take pictures), and hated it 3) Transferring lines means shutting down the generator, which I would like to avoid.
Reply to
Ignoramus10200

The last good ice storm we had before I left the frozen northeast had my generator running for 3.5 days.

Reply to
Pete C.

A day tank on the generator and hydraulic quick connect fittings on the fuel lines and tanks works well with no shutdowns.

Reply to
Pete C.

Your not planning on running it non stop are you? The fuel will run out in..what 36 hours?

Blink blink.....thats not very smart..is it?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

During a blackout, you're supposed to scale way back on the electric usage. If you try to run your toaster oven, hair dryer, and filament space heaters, you go through fuel at a rapid rate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon