More fun

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Very little, and they are already trying to drop my homeowner's insurance. the will still insure a beach front home, but don't want any older homes and it was the only company I could find. If it's canceled, I have to pay off the balance of the mortgage in cash on that date.
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:39:57 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Hire a lad who will trade shop space or machining for labor. He can help you fix yours first, then he can fix the other in trade for rent. Win/Win if you have the liability insurance to cover it.
--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Larry Jaques wrote:

It was only insured for $3000, the most could get for a detached residential garage. in this area. I never let anyone in there, because I couldn't afford liability insurance. The area with the worst damage was the electronics section.
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 09:59:01 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Suckage. Condolences on your soggy sillyscope.
--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a

    Ouch!
    Best of luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Thank you. Now my insurance company wants to drop me because my house is 48 years old, yet they still insure beach front homes that they paid to replace after the last round of hurricanes.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

This is where you had the fire, or am I confusing this with another disaster? Sounds pretty awful!
Jon
Jon Elson wrote:

Don Nichols had the fire.
I unloaded the truck, so I can start shoveling the ruined manuals into it to take to the landfill.
For me, one rough part about a moment like this, is wondering if I could have done some thing to prevent it. But, by now, there's no choice but to start shovelling. I share your sadness.
I unloaded the truck, so I can start shoveling the ruined manuals into it to take to the landfill.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Right! So, that means there have been TWO catastrophes! Terrible! Well, you need to keep an eye on buildings, and can't really leave them for MONTHS without checking for anything going wrong.
Jon
Jon Elson wrote:

I was busy repairing other problems That makes two bad roofs out of six. I went out to wash some clothes two months ago and had part of the ceiling of the laundry building fall. Apparently, when it was reroofed, they shingled over holes in the old, used plywood. I didn't know it when I bought the place, but it was owned by a Mr. Fixit who couldn't do anything right, except hide his crap workmanship. At my age and with my health problems I can only work a few hours a day, most days. Some days I can't do anything.
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Too bad I'm not closer, I don't accomplish a whole lot some days either, but I'd be game to help.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I apprecieate the, but I'm about 1.7 hours north Orlando. If I didn't think so little of lotteries, I could go buy that winning powerball ticket, I guess. Of course I'd have more money than I knew what to do with. ;-)
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:35:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Just keep on the way you are and you'll have more money than if you buy the tickets.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Tickets? I haven't bought one in 20 years :)
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

One of the local scrap yards has 3 buildings made from shipping containers. They poured a large pad. Set one container on each side, put regular roof trusses up (steel in one wood in the other two). Sheathed them in ply and installed metal roofing and siding. Two are enclosed with garage doors on the end the steel one is open on both ends.
I was tossing around the idea of three 40 footers U shaped on a 6" slab with steel trusses. Figured if you put anchors in the ground, welded the containers to those, then welded the trusses in place it would take some serious wind to move it.
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote:

The problem is zoning. The county has a lot of restrictions on what can be built & used. I would also have to dig up and move a lot of underground wiring, as well. I wanted to just add a 40' next to the garage, and found that the drain field was in the way. No building can be closer to the road than the house under current regulations, and I have a 12' x 12' laundry building that was the original pump house. Any major damage, and I won't be allowed to replace it. Four other buildings are too close to the property lines now, but not when they were built. I'd like to replace all the beams & put up new metal, then have it foamed with that UV resistant coating but can't afford it on my pension. I'll have to see if I can path the holes with scrap steel and splice the damaged beams for now. Gunner suggested roll roofing but it isn't legal, because it can't meet hurricane requirements. If the edge comes up, the entire roof can peel off. Oh well, it looks like I have a use for _all_ of those heavy old PC cases that I had saved for sheet steel. The old maxi towers are almost three feet tall. :)
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Where is the dividing line between repair/replace?
In my area you can get a permit to do "renovations" which allows you to tear down everything BUT one corner post and minimum of 10 square feet of wall.
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote:

Around here? It depends on who throws the darts at their 'Rules & regulations chart' and how soon their next party.
Ohio had a Repair/remodel rules. One corner and part of one wall was a repair. Anything more was a remodel.
I am going to try to find some 16' 'Five Vee' panels, and enough 2" * 10" * 12' pressure treated boards enough to do a little over one bay this winter. I also want to use some 1" foam insulation under the roof as it's replaced to stop the condensation problems. That will go over the main work bench, breaker box & parts room. Then I may be able to cover the rest with a tarp. The problem is that the county compares updated sat maps and aerial surveys with current files to look for every thing you do.
I had a friend in California that had a 40x40 metal shop and had two containers attached to the side.
They measured the containers themselves - determined the heavy piers and flew them between four piers. They use two wheelers and shop carts in and out of them. One is raw stock and the other is finished. He was in business and shipped both special metal out and machines out. (a crane came and met the transport truck to drop the containers in place. ) As I recall, another was in the parking lot intended to be added some day but was used where it was to store stuff.
The store house one kept the doors on the inside of the shop - so it could be locked up so no one would pilfer it if not with trusted workers. The other had heavy racks built into the walls and upon the floor. Both were insulated all around and sheeted as well with ply. (He would go off and train people using his machines spending weeks from home)
In the shop were massive lathes - a barrel (cannon) lathe and mill pair that was capable to work on cannon mounts. It was once a specialized set of hardware - business long gone from World War II work. He turned the shop around and made other items completely.
Martin