More fun

40 foot wide, 30 deep. The beams are run across the 40' at 10' intervals with 12' 2"*10" running front to back on 2' centers. There is a very slight pitch to the roof line. Not steep enough for shingles, and would need a lot of changes to support even low trusses. I looked into that when I first bought the place. A new metal roof is the only half way reasonable way to do it.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They wouldn't fit through the doors, or between the support posts, and there is a dividing wall 19.5 feet from the front. The only way I could use them would be to tear down the garage, set four of them and cover the outside with the old aluminum skin to hide that they are containers. That leaves another problem. The power to two other buildings run from that building in conduit run along the ceiling and down both far walls.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A 2" * 6" with a notch to go around the rafter, and a car jack will lift it. then set another one to hold it and go to the next. I did that about 25 years ago to level the floor in a 100+ year old house in SW Ohio. Several 'Con-tractors' told the owner it couldn't be done. It took me about three hours and a bunch of hardwood shims.

The problem is that tarps don't last long around here, and a medium grade 1200 Sq. ft tarp costs several hundred dollars.

BTW, 'Bob' was one of my uncles. Lots of uncles, just no 'Uncle Sam'. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On 11/25/2012 12:22 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote: ...

OTOH, what's 1200 sq-ft of space constructed cost....

Reply to
dpb

I have no idea these days, but they probably spent less to build that building than a 40' * 50' tarp costs now. A 'finished' tarp is a couple feet smaller than the advertised size so a 30' * 40' would leave a gap all the way around.

I haven't done any big projects in 25 years. Just repairs & remodels for myself, at two different locations.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Right! So, that means there have been TWO catastrophes! Terrible! Well, you need to keep an eye on buildings, and can't really leave them for MONTHS without checking for anything going wrong.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I was busy repairing other problems That makes two bad roofs out of six. I went out to wash some clothes two months ago and had part of the ceiling of the laundry building fall. Apparently, when it was reroofed, they shingled over holes in the old, used plywood. I didn't know it when I bought the place, but it was owned by a Mr. Fixit who couldn't do anything right, except hide his crap workmanship. At my age and with my health problems I can only work a few hours a day, most days. Some days I can't do anything.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No outbuilding insurance????

Reply to
clare

Too bad I'm not closer, I don't accomplish a whole lot some days either, but I'd be game to help.

Reply to
clare

Very little, and they are already trying to drop my homeowner's insurance. the will still insure a beach front home, but don't want any older homes and it was the only company I could find. If it's canceled, I have to pay off the balance of the mortgage in cash on that date.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I apprecieate the, but I'm about 1.7 hours north Orlando. If I didn't think so little of lotteries, I could go buy that winning powerball ticket, I guess. Of course I'd have more money than I knew what to do with. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sounds like its time for some decent plastic tarps from Harbor Freight..maybe 3 deep, and saving for a new roof. Doesnt need to be steel, it could be plywood with cheap rolled roofing laid down on it.

The current steel roof will hold it up ok, once you replace the bad beams.

Hell..the rolled roofing would probably be ok over the steel roof for a few years..probably up to 8 or so.

By that time..you will have enough money to do it right, have moved or found a rich chick to bundle with.

Guner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Same here.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Just keep on the way you are and you'll have more money than if you buy the tickets.

Reply to
clare

Tickets? I haven't bought one in 20 years :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It was grand. A fat assed lifer was seven seconds form being out of the Army. We know what you smoke but here is a link to, and a copy of that seven year old message in case you're ever lucid enough to read it.

has a message of mine posted on a US govenment web page. It is the forth message on that page:

  • * * * * Q U O T E * * * * *

First Permanent AFRS Station Sunday, May 22, 2005

Ft Greely, Alaska

I worked at the radio and TV station at Ft Greely Alaska in 1973 &

1974. I maintained the equipment for both stations, as well as pulling half the shifts to run the TV station. The operator was on duty from sign on to sign off. The operator loaded and ran the 16 mm films on a low power B&W transmitter on Ch 8. We had two transmitters, a 90 Watt, and a 500 Watt. Both were built by Gates. The also produced and directed the live newscast while running both audio and video boards and keeping an eye on all the other equipment.

I received a letter of commendation from the commanding general for the improvements I made in the station, and the reduced downtime. I was awarded 26T20 as a civilian acquired skill while I was in basic training at Ft Knox, and was sent to permanent duty without any additional training. There was a plan in the works to upgrade the station to color. The base information officer was running around telling everyone that "It is impossible to use any of our equipment to transmit anything in color!" so I borrowed a color bar generator and made a custom 35 mm slide so that each letter would be a different color. I transmitted our ID (AFRTS Ch 8) in color at the start of our live evening news to make sure everyone saw it.

The radio station was mostly tube equipment and on 24/7. The transmitter was a Gates BC 250 on 980 KHz which fed a center tapped dipole antenna. I was told it was one of the first permanent AFRS stations, but never could track down any information to verify it. We got our network audio feed over the old "White Alice" microwave telephone network, which was the oldest system in use in the world.

I am disabled now, but my last job was building telemetry equipment, including a system aboard the ISS, and a new earth station for NOAA. It was fun working on the equipment in Alaska. Zero allowed downtime, few parts and everything was depot level maintenance. I was only in for two years and was an E-4 when I left the US Army for home.

The other engineers were Neeley Hoopianaia, and Victor McBride. A couple of the broadcasters were Bill Billingsly and Dale Leslie.

--

Take care, and God bless! Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 25 Nov 2012

13:14:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Okay, that's "simple". All you have to do is "just" jack up the roof, slide the shipping containers in, and set the roof back down. Tada - all done! (I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.) B-)

tschus pyotr

"Youse the Force, Luke!"

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Then have the old road repaved after all that weight is dragged in?

Don't blame me that you bought a defective cat. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A lot of old E-8s tend to leak, just from knowing one is in the building. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One of the local scrap yards has 3 buildings made from shipping containers. They poured a large pad. Set one container on each side, put regular roof trusses up (steel in one wood in the other two). Sheathed them in ply and installed metal roofing and siding. Two are enclosed with garage doors on the end the steel one is open on both ends.

I was tossing around the idea of three 40 footers U shaped on a 6" slab with steel trusses. Figured if you put anchors in the ground, welded the containers to those, then welded the trusses in place it would take some serious wind to move it.

Reply to
Steve W.