Realism Obsession BAD!

wrote:

Some of the finest modeling I've ever seen was at New York City's Museum of Natural History in the Hall of Oil Geology. Dunno if that's still there, I've been gone from that town thirty years now (thank goodness).
The deal was that there were diorama displays of enormous rail yards filled with rail cars, realistic-seeming until you pressed your nose against the glass and you could see that the rail cars were represented by tiny blocks of wood painted different colors with the most important details inked in by pen as were the tracks.
Tejas (formerly NY) Pedro
Random Excess wrote:

Easy on the stirring !......
Alan
/
\
Random Excess wrote:
> Never have understood why someone would put thousands of hours into > reproducing every minute detail of a full-scale warbird because when > it's fifty feet up and fifty feet out goin' fifty-plus mph you can't > see any of 'em, just like the details on the underside of trains when > they're being run.
I don't think it's a valid comparison. All of my layouts have been built at my eye level, so the underside details of my rollingstock are very visible. And my operating scheme is mainly concerned with low-speed shunting. Most of the modellers I know who are into superdetailing their locos and stock have eye-level layouts as well, so they too can enjoy looking at their handiwork.
But if the layout was three feet off the floor and full of trains screaming past at 50mph I doubt any of us would bother with details.
Cheers,
Mark.

It's possible that it's tweeking a group that simply can't function at that level. This then makes them hostile to those that can. Like being pissed off at a person that beats you (pick a sport and point range) constantly.

What's your sport, sport? Just curious.
Tejas Pedro

Actually I'm not a jock. Don't watch/play/anything else, sports however I did watch a little bit of tennis when that really great Russian girl was playing. Besides looking good she is a really great tennis player. Maria something!
"Jon Miller"

Maria Sharapova.
-- Cheers
Roger T.

Won the US open, right? Womens of course.

I used to play baseball and basketball, but that was long ago. Was half-decent at the former, lousy at the latter. The thing about most sports is, once in a while you wind up in a game so good that it transcends all concepts of "winning" and "losing" and every player on the field or court comes out ahead irrespective of the final score.
Tejas Pedro
Random Excess skriver:

Guess not.

Let me guess that 6000 visting people per year wants to see more tan toys.....
Klaus
--
Modelbane Europa holder 10 rs jubilum, se hjemmesiden:

http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:51:07 +0200, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

Try showing them little trains going around in circles much too fast the next time and you'll easily double the number of visitors that you claim, but that's just life.
AGAIN... don't get me wrong. Everyone can and should enjoy whatever their hobby happens to be in whichever way they choose. Have yourself a ball, amigo.
Tejas Pedro
Random Excess skriver:

No I will not. That they can see at home, by us the come to get an experiance.

Perhaps in the US....
Klaus
--
Modelbane Europa holder 10 rs jubilum, se hjemmesiden:

http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:37:51 +0200, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

Don't be a jerk, Klaus, like I said:

Tejas Pedro
Random Excess skriver:

But why do you then have to talk down to those who have another hobby than you and think that you're right and others are wrong ?
Klaus
--
Modelbane Europa holder 10 rs jubilum, se hjemmesiden:

http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:25:50 +0200, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

Klaus, my friend -
It was never my intention to "talk down" to anyone and certainly I have no clue as to if I'm "right," politics aside.
I've got a bit of HO train stuff and recently I've been enjoying structure construction and detailing. Meantime I dig flying R/C.
That's all. No talking down or any kind of harm intended.
Tejas Pedro
Random Excess skriver:

Try to read your own messages then. You do that.
Klaus
--
Modelbane Europa holder 10 rs jubilum, se hjemmesiden:

http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:43:58 +0200, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

Sorry, freind. No I don't and I didn't. Any feelings of inferiority are your own problem and none of my own.
Tejas Pedro
Random Excess skriver:

Yes
You just proved my point there.
Klaus
--
Modelbane Europa holder 10 rs jubilum, se hjemmesiden:

http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk
Random Excess wrote: I bet I had more fun with my c.1950 AF 290 passenger set with smoke, choo-choo and air-chime whistle than the majority of rivet counters on this group have ever had.
Sounds like a kid with a walkman radio having a conversation with an ochestra conductor.

A man and his son were walking through a cemetery. The boy asked, "Daddy, do they bury two people in the same grave?"
The father said, "Two people? Let me look."
So the father took a look, and sure enough, the marker said, "Here lies a symphony conductor and a humble man."
TP