Anson Museum End of season weekend

This show is on the 24th & 25th October. Looks like it will be a good weekend . see http://www.enginemuseum.org/events.html for details

--
Dave Croft
Warrington
Gentlemen & Dave,
Just spent four days at Internal Fire Volunteering, including the Museum's Lister engines we had nearly a hundred running at 14:00 yesterday to celebrate a hundred years of Lister's. Amongst the engines brought to the show was Lister J type 201 built by Lister in 1909 which had been loaned to two gentlemen by Lister's themselves and a very nice, also very old and rare dry sump Lister P type which had been brought all the way up from deepest Somerset. I think those that attended would like to congratulate Paul, Hazel and all the Volunteers for the efforts to make the weekend what it was even though somebody forgot to order the weather :-))
Pictures etc later.
Martin P

Gentlemen,
The IF pictures can be found here.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/campingstoveman/InternalFireMuseumEndOfSeason2009 #
Martin P

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:59:22 +0100, campingstoveman wrote:

What's Big Red behind the engine in photo #8? (I like the big stuff :-)
cheers
Jules
Cummins V8 if I am correct.
Martin P

Ooop's I left 8 cylinders off :-))
Martin P

2000hp V16 Cummins - video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSx0AKguOtw&feature=related

On this year's project list for final sorting so that we can run with some revs... :-)
Regards Dan
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:40:37 -0700, Dan Howden wrote:

That's one nice little engine... ;-)
What's the starting mechanism? Too big an engine to be electric start, I presume?

Ahh, I think the big stuff sounds nicer at lower revs, though - just give it some sort of load to work with and it'll sound fantastic.
I've lamented in the past how very few folk preserve the big IC engines - they seem to survive in far less numbers than steam, yet what they may lack in sight they tend to make up for in sound...
cheers
Jules

I may be wrong again but I'm certain its electric start.
Martin P

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:06:43 +0100, campingstoveman wrote:

Blimey - looked a bit big for it. Wondered if it were air-start, or some kind of Coffman affair, or a smaller auxilliary IC engine... can't obviously hear anything running before startup, though.
(as a kid I was in awe the first time I saw a machine with an aux engine - I mean, it needs an engine just to start the engine? How cool is *that*? ;)
cheers
Jules
I did a deal a few years ago with a young guy in Cardiff which involved the exchange of my 2 cylinder Fowler Diesel for his Coventry Victor Vixen ex field generator engine. Him and his mate were restoring a Fowler Shunter and they wanted my engine to replace the "Starting Engine" on the shunter. The original engine came to a spectacular end when they were trying to start the main engine. It fired and the "sprag clutch" seized and the main engine went to peak revs driving the starter up to astronomical revs and it disintegrated!!! Also on the subject of "big" engines have a look at this one:_ http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2738745980041170552mWThnM This was a V16 Detroit out of a quarry dumper, which was at a dispersal sale at a Quarry near Peterborough several years ago. I was amazed how light and compact it was, and cheap too. Would have been super for a pulling tractor, no gearbox just a huge hydraulic pump.

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:50:41 +0100, Charles Hamilton wrote:

Ouch! I can imagine it was a bit of a mess. It may not have been the revs that killed it as such, but the starting engine trying to 'fight' with the main engine. No surprise which lost ;-)

Yeah, stuff of that sort of size does seem to pack a lot of punch into a quite compact volume. Had some friends in NZ with an old V12 Paxman that was similarly 'small'. (they also had a pair of 1930's diesels - 725 litres, each the size of a bus. Sounded fantastic when they ran; surprisingly quiet considering, but a great low-pitched rumble!)
I stumbled across this big straight-six with aux starting engine in a 1913-vintage Dan Patch loco a few weeks back:
http://www.patooie.com/temp/danpatchengine.jpg
... sadly no clue as to who made the engine, despite much crawling around the loco's innards :-)
cheers
Jules

Twin 24V starter motors. Modern electrics have far more oomph than the old Lucas stuff :-)
Dan
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:46:45 -0700, Dan Howden wrote:

That's impressive...

I've never had too much trouble with Lucas stuff really - not any worse than other electrics from the period. I think it just got a bad rep because it was so common, and the things it put in often vibrated themselves into oblivion and shipped water like a leaky boot :-)
campingstoveman wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/campingstoveman/InternalFireMuseumEndOfSeason2009 #
Thanks for the pics Martin, just watched through a couple of times on slideshow and it looked like a pretty good do. My usual chronic lack of planning prevented me from being there but we WILL wrap a long weekend around a visit some time.
Couple of questions; how does the Proteus compare to the Paxman in terms of noise and did the Harmonic manage an extended run (kept falling 'off the pipe' when I was there)?
NHH
I would suggest the Paxman is noisier and had one of my managers at work not buggered off to Italy with the sound level meter locked in the boot of his car I could have been more accurate, the harmonic ran quite well.
Martin P.