Prices of engines and books

Gentlemen,

If Stationary engine Magazine for sale ads are anything to go by we are all on paper very rich men and it amazes me how much is now listed as "rare". How can somebody ask over £800 for a Lister L. Are we starting to get greedy with our hobby or is some silly sod actually going to pay these prices.

Anyway I read a lot and I have recently been reading a couple of books loaned to me which I had to mention to you all. The Author is a guy called Roger Welsch, an American, who is an educated man etc and he has written a few books about his interests, mainly Tractors specifically Allis Chalmers tractors which he restores. The current book I am reading is called Love, Sex and Tractors, the title is not what it seems but he talks of family, friends and work which revolve around his tractors. The books are both amusing, sad but always a good read especially when he tells you of his adventures with friends collecting rusty hulks. certainly worth looking out for in my opinion.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Nick,

Excuse my French but that's bloody ridiculous

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" wrote

Really? I hoped I'd got a bargain.

Joking of course - I had it on my watch list, but never got as far as placing a bid.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

It's called market forces Martin. If it's a nice example, well restored, presented and painted, who knows. My dad mutters about things being expensive as well. Petrol should be no more than five bob a gallon and two of you should be able to go to the flicks AND get a pie & chips for less than a quid. The thing is Martin, TV is no longer black and white, there aren't twenty shillings to a pound and Lister D's have gone out of production. Us youngsters, realise that things are worth whatever someone will actually pay.

John

Reply to
John

It's called market forces Martin. If it's a nice example, well restored, presented and painted, who knows. My dad mutters about things being expensive as well. Petrol should be no more than five bob a gallon and two of you should be able to go to the flicks AND get a pie & chips for less than a quid. The thing is Martin, TV is no longer black and white, there aren't twenty shillings to a pound and Lister D's have gone out of production. Us youngsters, realise that things are worth whatever someone will actually pay.

John

That maybe the case, but in todays market anybody who pays £800 for a Lister L, unless its a ball hopper version, or a very early one is being robbed, regardless of condition etc.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Mike,

John is in his wind up Martin mode but it would seem that you and I are singing from the same song sheet so no chance there, I'm not just referring to EBay more the prices in the back of Stat Eng.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Martin

The thing with stuff advertised in the back of the magazine is that from my experience it very rarely sells. It normally ends up being in the magazine for anything upto 6 months and then most of it ends up on ebay anyway. Since SEM stopped charging for adverts the amount of engies for sale has nearly doubled.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

I note that the 'Tractor and Machinery' mag has many SE adverts in it. Many more than I remember in SEM from when I last subscribed - which was a long while ago! Pretty hefty asking prices too IMHO.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Prices are undoubtedly rising. A Lister D was not hard to find for £20 a couple of years ago, but they seem to be fetching four times that now - and not just direct drive mag versions either.

Interestingly perhaps, the smaller, newer stuff is rising but the lumpy things (Ruston 7IP for instance - that sort of range ) are still commanding about the same price as they were a year ago.

I see a 1924 Douglas went for £380 at Cheffins auction, close to £500 with buyer's premium & VAT.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn