Stationary engine magazine

Gentlemen,

I got SE this morning and over breakfast decided to read the article from Iran, I hope he does more as I found it interesting and informative, I liked his dads nick name "Ali Lister" and I also liked his thoughts about trading especially when his father stepped in and told him to sell the engine on trust. Imagine doing that to total strangers here.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I knew an ex Karaoke singer from Iran his name was Runupta Sing! I get mine from the Newsagent so have to wait a few days more.

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Fascinating insight into a world where the engines are not just toys and our throwaway society has not (yet?) permeated. Also a reminder that the Arab world is not entirely populated with religious fanatics hell-bent on blowing us all to kingdom come.

Turning to the ad's in SEM, I'm pleased to see that the White Horse Group is back on the scene, I suspect one of their DVDs will be coming my way this festive season - their simple 'rally walk about' format is an ideal antidote to those out of season blues! Now, which of us is sad enough to ask a loved one for the CD of engine sounds in the adjacent ad? Pass the anorak ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Nick,

You cant have the Anorak yet my wife's still using it, I took the wife for a ride today via Chronos who have now moved to Dunstable and had an open day, she cant drive so has no concept of vehicles heaters etc, I went in for ten minutes and came out one and a quarter hours later lighter by £100 after buying needed consumables to find an icecube where I had left my wife, she was, sorry, is not a happy bunny. Ill try and get the anorak off of her during the night and send it to you. By the way does anybody have any spare brownie points, I'm in desperate need.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

===== If it's Brownie points you need, try this:

Buy her a box of "Whitman's Sampler" chocolates in the 8 oz. size.

Better not to mention that the empty box is marvellous for storing small reamers, tools etc. lest you be accused (falsely, of course) of duplicity.

Anyhow, it works for me!

JW² =====

Reply to
JW²

"Campingstoveman" wrote (snip):-

Have they indeed, I really must visit my sister in Woburn Sands over Christmas!

Back to SEM. Suprised to see Nigel Mc Burney defending the fabricated Amanco con rod with its brazed butt joints. Yes we've all seen bronze rods and even separate big end assy's - sturdily bolted to the foot of the rod proper - but the only way I would feel comfortable with a brazed joint in that position would be if it were done in the manner of a cycle frame lug with a large wetted area loaded in shear.

BTW. I'm sure Royal Enfield would be mortified to hear the material they used for their 'rods (probably one of the Hiduminium 'RR' series) described as "weak".

Reply to
Nick H

open Saturday mornings 9 till 12 :-))

Mart> "Campingstoveman" wrote (snip):-

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I spent many a happy hour charging about the place on motorcycle frames made out of brazed up bits. I'd be really surprised if the Amanco conn rod gave any trouble, especially as no-one is likely to use it for racing.

It will be an interesting talking point when the engine is next restored in fifty years time.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

With tubes united by nice deep lugs?

So would I, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Reply to
Nick H